Dementia : 1 Lords debate

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Dementia : 1 Lords debate
=========================

Elderly People: Powers of Attorney and Living Wills - Question for Short Debate (12 Jan 2015)
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/lords/?id=2015-01-12a.635.0&s=dementia#g643.0
Baroness Wheeler: ...debate. Like other noble Lords, I am a huge admirer
of her campaigning work on behalf of older people, her mission to get us
talking openly and frankly about the ageing process and especially about
*dementia*-drifting into this “unknown world”, as she
referred to it in her excellent Suppose I lose it? programme-and her
willingness to relate and talk about her own...

Baroness Wheeler (Labour)

My Lords, I, too, congratulate my noble friend Lady Bakewell on securing this key debate. Like other noble Lords, I am a huge admirer of her campaigning work on behalf of older people, her mission to get us talking openly and frankly about the ageing process and especially about dementia—drifting into this “unknown world”, as she referred to it in her excellent Suppose I lose it? programme—and her willingness to relate and talk about her own experiences, asking the question that all of us ask ourselves as we get older about whether our memory loss or lapses are just an only-to-be-expected part of the ageing process or represent the early stages of dementia. I really liked her reference in the programme to being as busy and involved as she ever was and to the fact that, despite her fears, if dementia was looming she simply did not have the time to notice it. I hope that that is the case with us all. She is certainly right that staying alert for symptoms and confronting fears early is the best way to grow old.