delusions and risperidone

rubyrosie

Mar 28, 2014
Hi , my mum has been relatively stable for a while but took a dip about 6 weeks ago , with good days and bad days. She is still in the NH and I can't fault their care. Just lately she has been having more and more delusions and hallucinations . They are always negative and involve fires, explosions, death, bigamy, cancelled weddings (hers) and terrible things happening to family. I have spoken to her doctor and the matron at the NH and blood test and UTI test have come back negative so they have decided to try her on 0.5mg of Risperidone for 6 weeks ... Does anyone have any experience of this ...she is not violent but quite distressed a lot of the time ....she is also on mirtazapine and lofeprmaine for depression.... We are worried about side effects vs benefits ...

Any advice would be welcome ....I hate to see her sooo distressed....

Thanks

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
My husband was on a low dose of Rispiridone for about 4 or 5 months for hallucinations, paranoia and resulting aggression. It helped him though I was very much against him having it at the time. It did calm him down.

Rheme

Nov 23, 2013
England
My mum has been on Risperidone for quite a few years and is on a much higher dose than your mum. She too was suffering from hallucinations and I have to say without the Risperidone I don't think she would be here now. The stress of living without help would probably been too much to bear physically and mentally.

I am really glad this drug helps her and helps us too as we know she is so settled.

Hope this helps.