Delirium Support

Oly

Oct 3, 2013
Hello

Some of the patients coming into our hospital develop delirium, or acute confusion. Sometimes this is short-lived, but it can last weeks. It can be very frightening for the patient and carers. There is also good evidence now that some patients who have delirium can go on to develop dementia.

Is there any advice or any projects to support these patients and their families, run by the Alzheimer's Society?

Many thanks

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Just bumping this to the top at a more active time of day.

Just to add my personal experience, my wife's problems started with acute confusion after a minor op which developed into mild cognitive impairment, LBD diagnosis and death after 5 years.

The problem for the first year was that although the support was there, memory clinic, dementia advisor, alzheimer's cafe,... she was in complete denial and nothing could be done. By the second year she could not construct a sentence and I was allowed to take control of everything.

My point is that there is usually plenty of support if you look for it, the problem is getting the sufferer and maybe carer to accept the support.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathy T