Deferred payments, 12 week disregard, maths

carpe diem

Nov 16, 2011
Bristol
Hi,
How long can client financial affairs take?
My mum has been in a care home since April. Owns a home, £7000 savings.
We've had SS involved since February with the intention of getting a deferred payment and a 12 week disregard.
Not a penny has been paid to the care home costing £920 per week, it's now July.
LA has today sent me the forms for a financial assessment.
Mum has a very complicated financial position with all her savings previously disregarded due to life assured bonds.
Both the care home and the LA are going to charge interest on any deferred payments.
I'm told the LA rate for south Gloucester is £451.
After taking away her state pension and AA this leaves the LA paying approx £251 for a 12 week period.
Every month we don't pay the home charges 4% interest.
The LA charges £1320 admin fee plus interest on the loan of any deferred payments.
The maths works out that mum will be worse off getting a 12 week disregard and deferred payments than if we loan her the money or cash in her own disregarded life assured bonds.
The stress of not paying the care home is an added worry, I don't need.
We have a cash buyer for her house, of course they could back out but we could still self fund.
Has anyone else worked out the maths and found it to make no sense having a 12 week disregard.
I'm stressed out beyond my coping threshold.
Is it really true that the LA rate for south Gloucester Bristol is £451?
If so I don't know how I'll cope when the money runs out.
Thank you everyone, hope your coping better than me.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
I'm so sorry that I cannot help with your question - you seem to be going round in circles trying to sort it out!

At least my reply will 'bump' the topic further up the page where someone who can help is more likely to see it.

One thing I can do though is to send you some (((hugs))), you sound as if you need them!

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
If the house is about to be sold then there really is no point of starting the DPA process and paying the charges as it would stop as soon as the house is sold.

There should not be a standard rate anymore as the LA have to be able to provide you with details of at least one CH that they will fully fund that can meet your Mum's needs. This is normally the cheapest they can find. On my Mom's last move the SW found the cheapest was £800 but the finance director refused to authorise payment and told her find something else. Unfortunately she did at £440.:(

As you are going to be self funding then the amount the LA pay will only be for the 12 week disregard period that you are still entitled to.

If it is going to save you stress start paying the CH and agree with them that the money will be credited or refunded when the LA get their act together.

:)