Declining memory a fact of life but still can shock

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
After six years of handling the decline in Paulines short term memory I have had many amusing incidents and the occasional sad ones shared with her. But this morning while watching The Crown, on Netflix which is not really my thing but is hers, we watched the story of Charles and Diana unfolding up to the moment of the marriage and in passing I mentioned Camilla being his wife. Then came the question that really took me by surprise and brought home how far down the road her recall has declined when she asked, “So where is she now? When I asked who the answer, “Diana,”just threw me and so sad to see her expression of bewilderment when I explained about Dianas death and the killer question, “when did that happen, I’ve forgotten.” It is so bloody cruel.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I know how those moments feel. One of the very first signs of my mother's illness months before diagnosis which made my blood run cold (first time I truly understood that expression) is when my mother told me my grandmother was sleeping (my grandmother died in 1970). She said "Mummy is sleeping". I must have had a shocked look on my face because she laughed and said "I mean, my mother, your grandmother". It was her husband sleeping.