Dealing with parent with dementia and changing symptoms

Jamie5

Oct 5, 2018
Hi, I am new to this site and came across it and think it may be helpful for me. My dad has vascular dementia and had his first stroke in his thirties and so far has had 2 major strokes and 8 minor strokes. He is now 72 years old and on paper, his stats are all very good. Unfortunately, over the years he has deteriorated and recently he broke his hip from a fall and this then looked to have taken him down a step and he became even more distant and shut off.

Then three weeks ago he had difficulty breathing and was taken to hospital again and had oxygen for over two weeks and has lost a lot of muscle mass. He is now out of hospital it has been 4 days and I went and saw him the other day and he was very distant and seems to have taken another step down and was barely talking. The reason I am on here is that he is now making strange faces like he is gurning and he barely talks at all, the gurning of the face is the newest thing and I was wondering if anyone had come across this before.

Its just horrible when you see someone you love and care about disappearing before your eyes and the helplessness I feel like my dad changes from week to week.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Jamie5 and welcome to Talking Point

Are the facial expression like a grimace?
When dementia becomes very advanced they lose the ability to smile and instead of smiling they make this sort of grimace, even though they are trying to smile. Im wondering if this is what you are seeing.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome to the forum from me too, @Jamie5. I don't know too much about gurning, but wanted you to know you are not alone in that feeling of helplessness watching someone disappear.