Dealing, alone, with a retired electrical engineering professor with mild cognitive impairment.

ClimberMom

Mar 15, 2023
This is my first time here. My husband is 82 and retired. He has taught electrical engineering for 37 or so years. I have been dealing with his impairment for three years. This past year, he has really gone downhill. He can still take care of himself and do things around the house for which I am most grateful. But he is constantly asking me questions about where something is or what to do about things. Have to remind him of his four times a day meds. He is afraid to be alone and wants to know where I am at all times. Has anyone else had to take care of an engineering-minded person? They really think differently.

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
Hi @ClimberMom
Not had any experience of an engineering-minded person but FIL loved a gadget - he got on really well with his electronic tablet dispenser. Do you think your husband would take to one and then he 'would be in control' of his medication and it might be one less thing for you to have to do.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @ClimberMom and welcome to Talking Point

But he is constantly asking me questions about where something is or what to do about things. Have to remind him of his four times a day meds. He is afraid to be alone and wants to know where I am at all times.
My OH was a civil engineer who later retrained as a software engineer, so I know exactly what you mean about them thinking differently, but Id like to point out that these things are classic mid-stage dementia behaviours.
Mild Cognitive Impairment can lead to dementia. I take it you never went back to the memory clinic.

ClimberMom

Mar 15, 2023

My OH was a civil engineer who later retrained as a software engineer, so I know exactly what you mean about them thinking differently, but Id like to point out that these things are classic mid-stage dementia behaviours.
Mild Cognitive Impairment can lead to dementia. I take it you never went back to the memory clinic.
Thanks Canary for your comments. Yes, we are on a regular 4 mo. Ckup with our neurologist and on medication. I know about MCI and know we are extremely lucky it has not progressed into full blown dementia. But it is 24/7 full barrage of questions and no place to be quiet. My patience is wearing thin. Any suggestions?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
But it is 24/7 full barrage of questions and no place to be quiet. My patience is wearing thin. Any suggestions?
It sounds to me as though he is extremely anxious. BTW, what medication is he on?I wonder whether the doctor would prescribe anti-anxiety meds for him?
My mum (with Alzheimers) would not stop talking and I just used to zone out and make neutral noises in the right places. My OH is the opposite now and says very little.

ClimberMom

Mar 15, 2023