Deadline for claiming back care home fees / wales ?

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Everyone

DEADLINE FOR CLAIMING BACK CARE HOME FEES / WALES ?
HAVE THE RULES CHANGED FOR ALZHEMER PATIENTS ?

1. Does anyone know if the announced September 2012 deadline for attempting to claim back care home fees apply in Wales?

2. Also, I heard somewhere (or I did I dream it?) that Alzheimer patients were now to be included, that AD was in fact an illness that required ‘care’, and therefore eligible for funding.

My mum died of AD 4 years ago on the 29 May.

She spent the last 3 years of her life in a Care Home, she was 100% self funding from the sale of her home.

The death certificate states ‘Alzheimer’s.

We applied to the PCT for funding and mum was turned down on the grounds she did not require ‘invasive nursing care’. E.g. drips etc.

At the time my brother and I did give ‘the case’ to a solicitor, but put a limit of spending £1000.00 on fees before we called it a day, the 1K was gobbled up pretty quickly (getting medical notes etc etc), and to be honest, we were so dam weary coping with the day to day grind, we basically gave up.

I intended to take up the gauntlet again after mum died, it always stuck in my throat that we had to lie to her, we always re assured her, during those rare lucid moments when she asked who was paying for her ‘private hotel’ (that’s any story) that it was free, she never knew we sold her home. How dreadful is it to have to lie to your own mother.

Then my husband had a Stoke, then a year later another Stroke, and is wheelchair bound, so I have precious little time to take up the fight again. But my brother and I wanted to re open the case and have another go.

My lovely brother and best friend died suddenly 1 October last year.

The thought of taking up the fight on my own, well I just don’t think I can do it.
However, I still feel so guilty that we lied to mum, and honestly, I feel I should try and give it another go, I guess the anniversary of her death brings all this to the fore again. If I just get even a tenner out of them, I feel I would have done my best by mum.

So if anyone can help me with the answer to questions 1 and 2 I would be really grateful.

And if anyone can message me with a No win No fee solicitor in South Wales that would be appreciated too. I have all mum's medical records etc.

(Now that my husband is unable to work I cannot hand on heart splash the cash on this).

Thanks in anticipation
Cate