Day Centre Showers / Baths

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Hello all,

I've read before on here that some of you take your PWD to a day centre for showers/baths. Sorry if this is a really daft question but can I ask what this involves? My dad's dementia is quite advanced - he's immobile and needs 2 people to hoist - would this be something the day centre could support with in terms of a bath/shower? Dad can get quite verbally aggressive when it comes to his personal care too.

My mum is not keen at the thought that Dad will only have bed baths from now on, and is looking at converting a donwstairs room into a wet room if possible - but obviously this is a lot of £ and I just wanted to see what other options there are. I imagine there'll be a point when dad's condition means wheeling him into a shower might not be that suitable anyway? I'm not sure. Also we don't want to convert the room only to find that Dad as an almighty meltdown and we can't get him to use it again.

Sorry, I know it's probably a daft question! I did try google day centre showers but I think I'm just googling the wrong terms, not a lot's coming up. It was one of these things that's been bugging me - woke up at 3am to do some google research! Maybe that's why I couldn't find anything with a fuzzy brain.

Thank you.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You could try asking LA Social Services if they could provide you with a list of day care centres which offer this service.
You might be able to organise a day at the centre including a meal and bath, this would give you some 'me time'.

You could also start by googling
day are <postcode>
and phone any hits to ask your question.

A current problem is that many day care centres closed due to coronavirus and may not yet be fully opened.

Last edited:

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hello all,

I've read before on here that some of you take your PWD to a day centre for showers/baths. Sorry if this is a really daft question but can I ask what this involves? My dad's dementia is quite advanced - he's immobile and needs 2 people to hoist - would this be something the day centre could support with in terms of a bath/shower? Dad can get quite verbally aggressive when it comes to his personal care too.

My mum is not keen at the thought that Dad will only have bed baths from now on, and is looking at converting a donwstairs room into a wet room if possible - but obviously this is a lot of £ and I just wanted to see what other options there are. I imagine there'll be a point when dad's condition means wheeling him into a shower might not be that suitable anyway? I'm not sure. Also we don't want to convert the room only to find that Dad as an almighty meltdown and we can't get him to use it again.

Sorry, I know it's probably a daft question! I did try google day centre showers but I think I'm just googling the wrong terms, not a lot's coming up. It was one of these things that's been bugging me - woke up at 3am to do some google research! Maybe that's why I couldn't find anything with a fuzzy brain.

Thank you.
Hi. My dad couldn’t go to a day centre for a bath /shower as he is in a wheelchair and needs a Sara steady to get him up(1or 2 carers depending on the day.). Down here they only like people that need prompting plus they do not have the facilities (not big enough bathrooms).
I got dad to have a bath in a care home. He went for the day and had lunch and tea there as well as a bath.
I put him in a wheelchair taxi to take him and they took him out the other end. It was £60 for the day plus taxi fare. They also dispensed his medication.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Thank you @nitram - yes, good point about coronavirus. It wouldn't need to be immediately, it's just whether it's an option in future.

@TNJJ - that's useful to know, that care homes might provide that as a infrequent service. I wonder how many would be open to that. It's worth investigating. Thank you!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Round here in normal times there is a place that will shower or bathe the disabled, including people with dementia. Not sure how you get to know about such places, maybe local AS or AgeUK.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
The day centre my husband attended in Glasgow had this service although it was not used by many as most of those in need had carers at home. I do remember one lady who had a bad bowel incident being showered and given fresh clothes so it was possible.

If you choose to have the alterations made to your bathroom at home remember that you do not pay VAT for building work necessary for his disability. Our GP wrote a letter listing my husbands issues for me to give to our builder and it saved about £600. I was not charged for the letter.

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Hi Kay
When mum went to the day centre I asked the staff if she could have a bath there as mum wouldn't use her shower at home (tho she insisted she did). The staff said they were supposed to be for people who didn't have a bath/shower in their home, and I never really pushed the issue . So mum only had a shower when I went to stay once a month. Now she is in the care home she has a bath on a regular basis. I hope your dad gets help with this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5