Day care centre charges

Pork Pie lady

Mar 16, 2013
Anglia
My husband has been going to his current day centre for about 3-4 years he often complains that he is bored and doesn't like going. He has recently missed a lot of days due to various illnesses during which I have become a lot more confident in leaving him on his own during the day. On Christmas eve I received a letter telling me that due to a high number of absences all service users will be charged 50% of the daily cost when they don't go regardless of the reason in order to guarantee their place being retained. The only exception being if someone else can be found to fill the place. This is effective on 1st January. Is this usual practice?

While a small charge might be acceptable 50% of the daily charge is £27 - a lot of money for nothing. I am also concerned about the lack of notice for a change in conditions. We were told we could talk to them if we have any questions but they were already closed for Christmas so there was no option to talk to them or raise any objections before the change came into force.

I suspect that is illegal to make such changes to conditions without a reasonable amount of notice.

My gut reaction is not to send him back but I am a bit wary of burning my bridges in case he is in more need of a day centre later on and we cannot get a place or he refuses to go.

I would value other peoples opinion.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I suspect that is illegal to make such changes to conditions without a reasonable amount of notice.

I`m not sure about this but much depends on whether this is a private facility or one run by the NHS or social services.

The premises have to be kept open and maintained and I suspect need X amount of money to open it and provide heat and food.

If people don`t attend regularly, money will be lost and the future of the centre Threatened.

Better notice would have been considerate but perhaps these are desperate times.

HelpInOut

Oct 19, 2021
Sorry I can't help as (as far as I'm aware) we don't have any day centres in our area. Would love for my Dad to be able to go to one. Actually, his mobility possibly isn't good enough now, but it was 2 yrs ago. £27 for half a day sounds cheap compared to £18 an hour for a "carer" to come to your home

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
But if they are keeping his place open even when he isn't there, it means they are turning down another person who wants/is able to go. And they have the same costs whether he goes or not.

Sorry, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to me (though they could certainly have given you more notice.)

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
childcare is the same that you pay even if the child is there. they have to pay heating, staff, meals the same if they were there or not. more notice could have been given, certainly before christmas.

Pork Pie lady

Mar 16, 2013
Anglia
I don't entirely agree with all the comments but they have certainly helped me get things in better perspective and reduce the amount of upset I was feeling. Thank you

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5