Daily Mirror dementia life story article 18 Jan 2013

NeverGiveUp

May 17, 2011
A very beautiful article and so simply put, it gets right to the point. This is the kind of article that we need more of, it brings awareness home to the reader that it could be anyone not just the elderly.

My best wishes to your family.

Kathphlox

Dec 16, 2009
Bolton
Thanks Nikola, it's a very moving piece. What a brave lady you are.

I do hope more people realise after reading it that it's not just the elderly that are suffering with this terrible disease.

Pollyanna

Jul 8, 2008
Hi

I think it's a very good article which clearly shows how dementia is not just an older persons disease. It's very touching.

X

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Great article. Really shows that dementia, in all it's forms, is not just a memory problem.

It really is what we need to get out there, well done Nikola for telling it as it is and showing that it is not just the elderly who are afflicted by this dreadful disease.

Jay

Starvin

Jan 8, 2013
N.Wales
Well done ! Very moving account ,our best to you both .
Shows people its not just an old persons illness !

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
very good

A very good article, well written and illustrated. Nikola I am not surprised you got a carer's award, you really deserved it. To be so young, so recently married and yet put all the work you did into being Steve's carer as well as holding down a full time job, blooming marvellous.

I know all about the nursing home route...sigh...but sometimes it is the only way.

Sue.

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Such a moving article Nikola and reminded me of trying to cope with my David who also had FTD in his early sixties.

I have often wondered how you are and how you are coping.

Love

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
I'm full of admiration for you Nikola. What a dreadful thing to have happened to your husband when you were so young. I'm not sure I'd have had your strength, much as I love my own husband. I take my hat off to you, what a lovely and loyal person you are. xx

Flooz

Sep 8, 2009
UK
I can only echo what everyone else has said. What a lovely story to read, and I too hope that people will start to understand more about this illness.

stikwik

Oct 31, 2007
Nottingham
Thank you

Thank you so much everyone for your extremely supportive comments.

As you seem to have guessed, I agreed to the article purely for an awareness raising reason, and it certainly seems to have done that.

Probably lots of you are like me, you do the best you can in the circs you have. I am thankful for the strength I have received, and gained, through my caring duties because it certainly stretches you much further than you might think you could cope with.

I'm finding the spotlight a bit difficult to manage though, being a behind-the-scenes type of person, but of course am still glad to have done it for those who know little or nothing of this disease. I aim to put my experience to best use whenever I can ongoing. And I only have to glance across the thread in TP to see that you all are too. The side-by-side support of TP and carer groups is invaluable.