Dad's weight loss, so worried.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Dad has not been eating an awful lot recently but he usually tops up with chocolate biscuits and other goodies that we keep in his kitchen drawer but he seems to have stopped eating over the last few days. He tells me he has eaten but I know he hasn't because I know exactly what he has in his fridge and I check his bin. He managed half a tinned meat pudding with a spoonful of peas last night before I went home. I think he is living on cornflakes. He also does not want to go out and we always go out except on Saturday when I work.

I weighed him and he is only nine and a half stone. I was shocked, he has lost weight over the last couple of years but not like this. He wears big baggy jumpers all the time because it's a bit chilly so it does not show that much.

He is so stubborn but I have got him an appointment this afternoon with a doctor (not his usual one) and I am really worried. Firstly I am worried that she might try to admit dad and secondly that she might think that I have been neglecting him.

I am so worried and upset about this, it's a bit like he has given up and he was plodding along quite nicely before. Is this normal.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
By all means be worried about weight loss but don't be worried about him being admitted or you being accused of neglect! Weight loss is common with dementia as either people lose their appetite, think they have eaten already, or their meal absorption does not work that well anymore. Doctors can prescribe calorie-rich supplements, plus they can refer him to SALT (speech and language therapy) who can check his swallowing and generally advise on eating and drinking. In the meantime, give him plenty of yummy treats and soft food, in case it's the consistency of food he can no longer cope with.
He might also be off his food due to an infection, or just generally be low because it's wintertime.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I don't know how helpful this will be, but my OH was not eating a lot recently due to a chest infection which came after a UTI. Is your dad otherwise healthy or could there be something else causing his appetite to get worse than usual? I was advised to encourage OH to eat softer foods like rice pudding, soup or those wee slimfast shakes. If your dad is stubborn and insists he has eaten you may not have much luck, but would a bowl of soup you brought and made encourage him just because you ate it.
I doubt they will think you have been neglecting him, and the doctor sent round community nurses to monitor OH rather than admit her, so hopefully your doc can offer something like that.
Good luck Duggies girl.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Thank you @Beate and @nae sporran I feel a bit better now I think his weight has shocked me and I keep wanting to cry.

Yes he has always been super healthy, I have never known him to even have a cold. I have been planning his shopping to include soups and small portions of tasty snacks.

I shall go to see him soon and he will not be happy about the doctors appointment. I was so lucky to get it for today. I rang and the receptionist said she had just put the phone down on a cancellation. I hope the snow doesn't get any worse before we go.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
The GP will consider any underlying cause for the weight loss but it may also be due to a change in the dementia and your dad forgetting the what and why for eating...this happened gradually with my dad and caused weight loss

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
The GP will consider any underlying cause for the weight loss but it may also be due to a change in the dementia and your dad forgetting the what and why for eating...this happened gradually with my dad and caused weight loss

Thank you, yes that is what I am suspecting. He has had dementia for 5 or 6 years but only diagnosed last year.

I think I am going to move in for a few days at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77