Dads things

HelenMG

May 1, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
We are sorting through Dads things this past while. Its taking forever because we get emotional and dont want to do it.

But today I found a candle stick that Dad bought at a carboot sale with me about 7 years ago. He always bought what we thought were "odd" things but they caught his eye. This candlestick had a lovely piece of cut glass at the base, which he loved, but the top was wobbly (not good for a candlestick!) but he wanted it anyway and admired the cut glass so often when the candlestick came out. I took it apart to get rid of the wax and had another go at fixing the wobble as I had tried several times before but never succeeded. Well today I fixed the wobble !! One of the pieces was screwed in the wrong way around. Dad was a fixer and had he been younger he would have fixed the wobble I am sure. Dads spirit was with me today as I suddenly fixed his lovely candlestick.
Helen x

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello HelenMG , Well done on mending the Candlestick ! ! !:cool: when i read "your Thread" i thought of mt own Father ( He has Mild Dementia ) & he also was a "fixer" & made a lot of furinture for my new Home & also his own Home.

Am pleased for you & your Dad you were able to fix the Candlestick ,it was meant to be good you were able to think of your Dad with happy thoughts :)

Best Wishes & take care Love from Grove x x x

HelenMG

May 1, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Thank you all,
I am feeling very close to Dad today. This evening, after putting it off for so long, I picked up some of his things, pieces of furniture he made or manufactured from other things but which he loved and was proud of. It is good to remember his pleasure at these things.

Grove,
I missed Dad not being able to do and make things for me when I finally moved into my own home - he wasnt able at that point - now I will have some of his things to remind me and thats lovely: A small side table he put together, some shelves he made for mum's collection of jugs, a plant-stand he made out of an old side board. He was almays making things out of what was available.
Thanks again everyone. So comforting being able to say these things.
Helen x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smattels