Dads story

nick47

May 31, 2012
Yet again many thanks,dad 74 was in an assessment ward for nearly 5 weeks in the hospital he had vascular dementia.The main doors into the unit had to opened by a nurse,when ever mum would leave just before tea about 5 o clock dad would start to get agitated and every time they would say go home Mrs Bowman we will look after him and try not to worry.The first time dad escaped he jumped over the garden fence and found him about 50 yds away,next they found him out by the reception entrance,the third time so they say he forced a window open and jumped out.The thing is they knew dad was a high risk,he was suppose to be on 15 minute checks were was duty and care towards dad.
So if anybody is up emailing national newspapers get in touch and if you need anymore information get in touch

Last edited by a moderator:

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
Nick,
I emailed the Guardian yesterday morning before your dad was found. Do not know if it will do any good but I just felt/feel amazed that this terrible thing has got so little publicity. It seems to me that sometimes with dementia the sufferer loses the ability to keep themselves safe and when they do start wandering they are as ill equipped as a small child to fend for themselves. If your dad had been a six year old who had been left in the care of the hospital and this had happened then all hell would have broken out. It seems to me that everybody has let you and your family down. I bet the nurse who told your mum to go home and they would keep your dad safe feels dreadful.
Much love to you and your family at this difficult time
Tre

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
Dear Nick,

I have just Emailed The Patients Association for you in order to highlight your story and aim for better care for dementia patients in hospital. Your story is just appalling and action needs to be taken.

Have you contacted your MP?

witchpig

Dec 31, 2011
Maidstone Kent
Try contacting the DAILY MAIL as they have a campian about the state of hospital care. I did try contacting them for you but they want "first hand" stories.

jan1962

May 19, 2012
bedlington northumberland
Hi Nick,

just read your thread ad think this is a good idea, but as said they will want first hand information. as well a the press have you thought about contacting any tv programs as i am sure they will be interested in what your family has endured and the fact that your father was supposed to be in a place of safety and that the system again has let someone who was entrusted to their care down again.

please continue to post as your many friends are here to help and support you and your family at your greatest time of need.

love and prayer

jan1962

chucky

Feb 17, 2011
UK
Nick, i have messaged a man who is single handedly petitioning the government to recognise the short falls and failures of the current system. He gets a lot of publicity up here and has contact with members of the scottish parliament. Tommy on Tour is his campaign and i have filled him in with your story, hopefully he'll be able to highlight your story to the powers that be. Again my sincere condolences to you and the family.

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Sorry Not Much Help !

Hello Nick , Sorry not able to help as do not read the Paper's only the Local Paper ! , however just want to send my Support in what you are doing & as another T P 'er said have you been in contact with your M P ? Also just an idea ..... ( please ignore it if you wish ) Have you any friend's or family who are good at P R type Jobs ? that way they will be able to support you & have a good idea of who to contact etc ! Hope that helps

Sending much Support & Strength in getting your Dad's Story out to the Public

Love Grove x

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Dear Nick, The Alzheimer's Society themselves have a media & press team who might be useful to contact on 020 7423 3595. You could also try contacting the Chief Executive’s office (Jeremy Hughes) who might have some suggestions on how best to escalate things, main switchboard 020 7423 3500. If you’d like me to call on your behalf please let me know but am guessing they might want to speak to you direct as you've all the details. If any changes for the better happen as a result of this terrible tragedy then your dad won’t have died in vain.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elaine Ridgway