Dads house needs de-cluttering & organising

Sherma77

Jul 20, 2021
Ohio
I am 77. I've never been a neat freak, but I married one 55 years, ago. This dementia doesn't help our marriage or my "messy ways"! I have a library of sorts in my own room. Books, writing, research have been my life. No longer of course. But I HAD binders & cabinets filed to perfection! Now I remove pages, refile pages, NEVER throw a paper away! NOW I have a stack of papers, on the floor that reaches to my knees! I want them back where they belong! But I can't get it done! And I pity the poor person that would mess with my mess! I cry, I try to remedy the problem & there may be 30 minutes a month that I CAN!!! But then I find my own self, messing up the 'joy' of my life - AGAIN! I hate who I have become!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello. I’ve decided to cancel the de-clutter person as when I put it to dad he seems very disinterested and it’s bad enough getting things done to timescale that he does want done. I just foresee it being a long slow expensive visit from the professional. I’ve got lots of other stuff to do during my visit and I’m only there for 6 days. I’ve had to leave 2 teenagers at home looking after the digs as the cost of travel, hotel and car hire is expensive enough without adding kennelling fir 2 dogs and another room fir the teens etc. Plus, being self employed, every time I visit, not only is it costing me a bit but I’m not earning either. Every visit, as rare as it is, I need to get a load of stuff done. I think I was being unrealistic throwing a declutterer into the mix.
Sometimes you just have to choose your battles
xxx