Dads been diagnosed with Alzheimers at 61

Positive hope

Nov 17, 2017
Australia
Hi everyone,
Im just looking for some support as I have recieved news that dad has been diagnosed with early stages of this horrible disease alzheimers.Hes only 61!! Im heartbroken and angry! I just dont know how Dad and mum are really feeling inside and that hurts.I live in Australia.I have 3 siblings at home. I think it started with him misplacing car keys, wallet, forgetting addresss etc. Can anyone tell me if he will be ok for sometime?? Hes still driving, out and about. I just feel so sad. Life is so dam cruel.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello Positive hope and welcome to TP. You will find this forum a friendly and informative place.
Just this year my wife was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s at the age of 64. The tell tale signs were there for a while but when the word is used it still hits like a runaway train.
What you and the family will feel for a while is a type of grief that is related to the changing of the future. I know that this passed with me and my wife and we have started making plans again. I don’t know what the support systems are like in your area but help is usually available. My wife was started on Donepezil and Memantine and is doing very well on these and her other meds. Life has changed and has it’s difficult moments but is essentially the same as before. Unfortunately no one can say how long each phase of the illness will be as each case is different. Just try to get the meds’ and support right and keep you dad as active as possible both socially and physically to help keep things at bay.

Positive hope

Nov 17, 2017
Australia
Thanks Karaoke Pete,
Im so very sorry to hear about your wife. Its just so hard to even think or talk about. I will check with my sister to see what medication he is on now. I do hope he has his memory and can still be active for a very long time. I will be going home next yr at some point.I heard when he found out he was quiet, angry. I just hope he doesnt give up. Hearing others going through the same is helping me so much. Thank you

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I have just read your post again and notice that your dad is still driving and must warn you to be careful with that. In the UK/Ireland the licencing authorities and insurers have to be informed of a diagnosis and a special driving test done. If this is not done both licence and insurance may be invalid.
With this theme in mind you should also be getting things like wills and power of attorney sorted while your dad has capacity.
I know this all sounds dreadful but it has to be done for peace of mind etc., as dementia is a progressive condition and difficulties will arise in the future if affairs are not put in order now.
The important thing is not to panic. Life goes on and good times will still be had, if my own experience is anything to go by!

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hi and Welcome

My wife was diagnosed in January 2014 at the age of 63. It had taken 9 months to get to this stage though in retrospect, I had noticed the signs several years earlier.

She was very upset and confused initially and I tried to carry on as normal as possible, often turning the TV over if there was anything to do with dementia on. As there was a new campaign running at the time about spotting the early signs and getting early diagnosis, this proved somewhat difficult!

My wife's progression at this early stage seemed quite rapid, though things settled down and she soon became unaware that there was anything wrong. Her decline has been slower since, but nevertheless, continues. As others will tell you, it can be very unpredictable and no 2 cases are the same.

Not sure if your mum and dad have started thinking about the practicalities yet but sorting out Lasting Power of Attorney should be a priority and researching support groups in their area would be a good idea. I have got so much help and advice this way, as sadly, once you get the diagnosis, many folk are left to fend for themselves?

Good luck to you are your family in supporting your parents.

Regards
Phil

Positive hope

Nov 17, 2017
Australia
Hi Phil,
Sorry to hear about your wife. Sounds like you have a great network of support in your area. Yes dads trying to keep busy, I have just found out hes not been taking his med Donepezil he has only been prescribed this one from the doctor he said it gives him headaches.I have told him he should mention this side effect to his Dr. Hes a subborn man. There trying to take each day as it comes.Its not sunk in yet to be honest he such an independent man I just cant imagine him not being able to drive, go out, shower by himeself its heartbreaking to think about.My sister said just dont think about that yet. For now hes doing ok. Hopefully he gets the meds sorted. Thank you.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Hi everyone,
Im just looking for some support as I have recieved news that dad has been diagnosed with early stages of this horrible disease alzheimers.Hes only 61!! Im heartbroken and angry! I just dont know how Dad and mum are really feeling inside and that hurts.I live in Australia.I have 3 siblings at home. I think it started with him misplacing car keys, wallet, forgetting addresss etc. Can anyone tell me if he will be ok for sometime?? Hes still driving, out and about. I just feel so sad. Life is so dam cruel.

I am so sorry to hear about your dad and I know how devestated you must be when he is so young.
People with this disease progress at very different rates and in different ways so at this stage you need to take things one day at a time.

I also live in Australia so I hope I can be of help.

Has he been offered any medication to help with his symptoms because there are some available.
You need to make sure that he is still OK to drive which will involve an assessment of his abilities. There are many dementia patients who are able to continue driving for sometime, some like my husband are too dangerous to be allowed to drive. If your dad's consultant or doctor hasn't reported him, you can do it by reporting him yourself to your local licensing authority and depending on where you live, you can usually do it via email and anonymously.

Your mum can apply for a carer's allowance through Centrelink which your Dad's GP will need to complete a part of it. The government website has lots of information about having an assessment done and I would get on to that now as it usually takes some time for anything to happen.

Alzheimer's Australia have a website with lots of information and factsheets and they have a very useful help line. They also have information sessions which I personally found very useful. They have counsellors who can guide you through the difficult bits so checkout their website to see what is on. There won't be much on now being close to Christmas but will have plans in place for 2018.

Your mum needs to start thinking about getting enduring powers of attorney set up for health and welfare, and for finance and making sure that wills are up to date while your dad still has capacity to do so.

Local councils offer different things, depending pretty much on where you live. Our council provides a range of services, from housekeeping, to social welfare , personal care, shopping, even a little gardening. There is also a carers' association in our state who offer various services from information sessions to counselling.

My personal experience is that my greatest support is our GP who has been wonderful and manages my husband brilliantly. So I hope you have a good GP.

I live in regional Victoria so if you wish you can always send me a personal message. I do hope that things settle down for while so that you and your family can come to terms with this new stage in your life.

Positive hope

Nov 17, 2017
Australia
Hi Lawson58,
Thanks so much for all that info very helpful. It means alot to share concerns and gain advice and support at this awful time. I will let my mum know asbout the carers allowence.We just have to be there for one another Im just up and dwn at the min. I will check out some counciling and talk to my GP. As far as Im aware hes only been prescribed the one medication Donepezil but hes stopped taking due to headaches. Im in W.A thanks for your support I will keep in contact and I hope you and your hubby are going well.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Positive hope
might you add a location to your profile as that makes it easier for members to spot which country you are in - then, as Lawson58 has done, members in your country can offer suggestions specific to the systems there
all of us can offer sympathy and support :)

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Hi Lawson58,
Thanks so much for all that info very helpful. It means alot to share concerns and gain advice and support at this awful time. I will let my mum know asbout the carers allowence.We just have to be there for one another Im just up and dwn at the min. I will check out some counciling and talk to my GP. As far as Im aware hes only been prescribed the one medication Donepezil but hes stopped taking due to headaches. Im in W.A thanks for your support I will keep in contact and I hope you and your hubby are going well.
Hi again,

Donepizil often causes a few side effects. Sometimes these will settle down over time but it often helps and there are people we hear of on Talking Point who have been on it for years. My husband was on it for a while but it gave him tummy problems so the geriatrician switched him over to rivastigimine patches and he has tolerated these very well.

If your dad is still driving, your mum might find it hard to get the carers allowance but have a look at the forms and don't hold back or be polite with your answers. Centrelink uses a points system for both your mum's and your doctors answers but if you don't get it the first time, there is an appeal process that you can use. There is no means test for the allowance but the amount you get relies on income.

Obviously, it will depend on where you are in WA as to what facilities you can access. Much of regional Australia doesn't offer too much unless you are in a larger centre so I hope that your mum and dad are being well supported.

There are loads of knowledgeable people on here who will be able to help with ideas to help you and your family manage as you go through this experience so don't forget to ask. I forgot to mention that you should be able to access the power of attorney forms online and they come with instructions for everybody as well as good advice and suggestions.

Positive hope

Nov 17, 2017
Australia
Thanks so much for all your help I will pass this on. I dont think he gave the medication enough time to settle.Yes Im in Regional WA not much around tbh, these forums r my saviour right now.