Dad......

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Well, back at dad’s yesterday. I have bought him some new clothes which he has moaned about me spending money. But these are XXXL. Dad has always been slim but he has put on weight over the last few weeks . Especially the stomach. The last time he was weighed he was 14.7 that was about 3weeks ago. Before that he was 12.4 which was only 6weeks before that. All his clothes are tight and are marking him around the waist.
He was very quiet yesterday. Not much talking and a lot of cat napping .
I have asked the carers to write down dads urine output (he has a permanent catheter) so I can keep an eye on it. They are on computer records now so it is difficult for me unless I have credit to use it.(OpenPASS it is called) Some days at lunch it is only 50mls . Night time it varies but is rarely full.
He says he is feeling tired a lot more these days and everything is an effort.
On some things yesterday when talking there was some confabulation. It is difficult to follow.
His walking with his frame is getting slower and slower. It took him 0.36 secs to get from dining room to the lounge.He used to do it in a lot less.
The OT has said he needs to walk more but that is difficult as he sometimes refuses to walk with the carers if he doesn’t feel like it.
He can only do more when he is with me.But even then he doesn’t want to.
Getting him undressed for bed his socks are marking his legs. His ankles are beginning to swell . They are not too bad at the moment but are definitely beginning to look puffy.
He is also losing his appetite. He will eat but is not over fussed.But definitely eats better when he has company.Very slow decline..

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Dad has now developed a new thing. He walks with his frame but his knees are bent. So it is quite slow. He also stops whilst walking. He says he is thinking. The other night he turned the wrong way and was going into the lounge instead of the bedroom. He got confused. It just shows how much is “automatic “ and not really thinking.Managed to get him into bed without any problems.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Was going to ask if your dad was retaining fluid but I see you originally posted a little while back - is he still putting on weight like he was?

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Yes he is. Put on another 3lb
Have you had him seen by a Dr for tests? Or is that out of the question? Not to alarm you, I only mention it because the rapid weight gain and extreme tiredness, lack of appetite was symptoms of my stepdad's lymphoma. His lymph nodes stopped working and he filled up with fluid, which had to be drained. I think they diagnosed it partially with a blood test. Of course I suppose it could be anything but it sounds like fluid, whatever the reason. Must be quite uncomfortable!

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Have you had him seen by a Dr for tests? Or is that out of the question? Not to alarm you, I only mention it because the rapid weight gain and extreme tiredness, lack of appetite was symptoms of my stepdad's lymphoma. His lymph nodes stopped working and he filled up with fluid, which had to be drained. I think they diagnosed it partially with a blood test. Of course I suppose it could be anything but it sounds like fluid, whatever the reason. Must be quite uncomfortable!
He doesn’t seem to notice it. Dad is under the Renal Clinic which we are waiting to hear from. He had bloods done last week which was fine.I will bear in mind though. Thank you.

Veritas

Jun 15, 2020
He doesn’t seem to notice it. Dad is under the Renal Clinic which we are waiting to hear from. He had bloods done last week which was fine.I will bear in mind though. Thank you.
I'd be happier if someone was also checking his heart. This level of weight gain sounds like fluid retention, and the output you mention above is far too low, though that may be linked to poor intake as well as any underlying problem.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I'd be happier if someone was also checking his heart. This level of weight gain sounds like fluid retention, and the output you mention above is far too low, though that may be linked to poor intake as well as any underlying problem.
Hi. Yes dad has heart failure too. Stage 3 over a year ago. I have emailed the doctor but it’s a bit like pulling teeth at the moment.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Hi. Yes dad has heart failure too. Stage 3 over a year ago. I have emailed the doctor but it’s a bit like pulling teeth at the moment.
Ah that does sound like it could be a cause. Poor Dad has got quite a lot going on. Hope you can get some help x

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
It feels a bit like
Ah that does sound like it could be a cause. Poor Dad has got quite a lot going on. Hope you can get some help x
It feels a bit like being on the Titanic. You can see the iceberg in the distance. You are just not sure when you are going to hit it..

Veritas

Jun 15, 2020
Frankly, he needs urgent assessment if he's Grade 3 HF and gaining weight like that. If the GP doesn't respond I'd start with 111, but if your father becomes really breathless don't mess about, call 999. Even if a decision has been made not to actively treat him (doesn't sound like it), he still needs proper palliative care, which can be organised through your GP.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Frankly, he needs urgent assessment if he's Grade 3 HF and gaining weight like that. If the GP doesn't respond I'd start with 111, but if your father becomes really breathless don't mess about, call 999. Even if a decision has been made not to actively treat him (doesn't sound like it), he still needs proper palliative care, which can be organised through your GP.
Thanks . Will do