Dad scammed repeatedly

Charlie8422

Feb 14, 2021
My dad is 65 years, he has been under the memory clinic for a year. In three weeks he will do the full memory test and we will receive a diagnosis. Alzheimer's is likely. I found out on Friday however that for nearly a year he has been repeatedly scammed. Consequently his pension lump sum has been taken.
I have been aware of a few occasions in the last couple of months of money being scammed from him but not to this scale.
I've been advised to get legal power of attorney and I am now joint account holder on his bank account.
I find it so hard to accept that my dad, who has lived alone and been self sufficient for decades is now being targeted by ruthless scammers. That his hard earned pension has been taken by these low life's.
However I was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences or advice?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @Charlie8422

Unfortunately that is all too common. My wife was scammed of her bank details but luckily I learned of it soon enough to get stops put on her account and card before losses were suffered.

My wife's experience started with a phone call and I found a good BT phone with a nuisance call blocker that solved that issue.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
If you follow the link below you'll find a sub-forum that deals with these matters and you may find a lot of information in there that will be of use to you. I hope it helps

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Just a thought...have you contacted the banks involved. There might be a chance you can get his money back.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
My dad is 65 years, he has been under the memory clinic for a year. In three weeks he will do the full memory test and we will receive a diagnosis. Alzheimer's is likely. I found out on Friday however that for nearly a year he has been repeatedly scammed. Consequently his pension lump sum has been taken.
I have been aware of a few occasions in the last couple of months of money being scammed from him but not to this scale.
I've been advised to get legal power of attorney and I am now joint account holder on his bank account.
I find it so hard to accept that my dad, who has lived alone and been self sufficient for decades is now being targeted by ruthless scammers. That his hard earned pension has been taken by these low life's.
However I was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences or advice?
Yes!
Sadly it is common.
My mothers dementia manifests in the belief that she is so clever no one will get one over on her! The problem is that it makes you even more vulnerable!
What can you do?

Get call blocker put on the phone, I didn’t think it would work and has been fantastic ! Mum is with talk talk and it is free with them!

Make a note of the three numbers on the back of his bank cards, then scratch them off the cards.

Get broadband installed.

Instal a ‘ring ‘doorbell so you can monitor all callers.

Buy a guardcam security light.

Oder a sign off eBay saying ‘This property is covered by internal and external cctv.

For some reason mum has been targeted by roof insulation companies, I have a very large sign in the loft now telling any potential salesmen I have them on video and will see them in court ( last line of defence)

Never underestimate the ability of someone with dementia to be prey to fraudsters.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
My grandmother had a lot of scams through the post. It is possible to get the post redirected with POA.