Dad refuses to go into a home. Not sure what to do next?

Rosebuddy

Jan 5, 2024
Hi everyone.
I lost mum to dementia 5 years ago. Dad now 88 has had some dementia for a while but has rapidly advanced this year. He started falling a lot in summer and we got carers in at home. Dad shouted at them a lot, but kind of accepted it. Then he was admitted to hospital with a hernia in September but he hasn't come home yet. He was immediately aggressive on the ward, shouting, wandering, abusive. They realised he was doubly incontinent and was not independent in any aspects of his cares etc and had very poor mobility. So they started process of assessing his needs.
He moved from a ward, to being medically fit for discharge but in a kind of step-down ward (like a care home in hospital). Then they said he ought to go to a rehab care home (which we agreed to as we thought it would help with re-ablement). But since he got in there he has just plummeted. Recently he had a chest infection and that set him back even futher.
As soon as he got in the rehab place the OTs recommended he move to 24hour care and Social workers and OTs put it to him (with my agreement) but he was very angry and refused. So then they assessed him as having capacity (no formal dementia diagnosis but they all agree he has it) even though he was confused. We got all prepared for discharge on 19th December with a maximum care package of 4 visits a day with 2 carers every visit, but he got a chest infection, was very confused and needed hoisting. I thought he might die but he pulled through after 2 lots of antibiotics
They (SWs) now say dad does not have capacity, but that he is still saying he wants to go home, and so they want him to go home. He got very distressed just before Christmas and they put a DOLS in place. I thought that now they are saying he lacks capacity they would decide it is in his best interests for him to go into 24 hour care, but they are still saying for him to go home. He thinks he is at home already, or that home is in Essex where he grew up (we are in Leeds). He is very confused and cannot walk at all unaided, or dress, or do anything for himself. There are no activities where he is, they just get plonked in front of tv but he is profoundly deaf so finds it hard to follow at the best of times. I've tried engaging him in little activities when I visit, but he won't. He is obsessed with the layout of the place, and wants us to wheel him around in his wheelchair to look at the work he's had done in the loft (he thinks he's in his house).
He gets off his chair and crawls about on the floor constantly and so they have assigned him 24hour 1:1 carers.
I can't see how he will manage at home between care visits, and I thought now they are saying he doesn't have capacity they would basically force him to go into care, but the social worker says she won't go against his wishes.
The dementia has come on so fast, I even wonder if some of it could be delerium and maybe he might improve a bit when/if he goes home? But I'm probably being naive? I just feel so stuck. If he does go home I will be the one bearing the brunt of it as we live 3 miles away. I work full time and have 3 kids and youngest is 12 so still got a lot going on anyway.
I'm not sure if anyone will reply but it has helped me just to write this.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
If he has been deemed as not having capacity then be insistent that he needs to go in a home.
Tell them you cannot support him as you have a young family.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
You will have to stand your ground and be firm in that you are unable to provide care. Honestly these situations just make me angry when it's obvious a care home is the way forward. You need to step back and let the care at home fail, because it will.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Absolutely stand your ground. Ask the social worker if they have a plan for if he falls, who is going to do his washing and shopping, help him with medical appointments, clean the house and deal with any middle of the night issues because you most definitely will not be available for any of that. Remind them that if anything happens to him, they will be responsible.

Last edited:

DollyM1

Dec 21, 2022
As had been said on previous posts, it is not your responsibility to provide 24hr care for your father. You have your own life, a job and 3 children. You must, as SAP says, tell the social workers that you will not be looking after dad and stay firm. Good luck x

sue31

Oct 2, 2023
Medway
You will have to stand your ground and be firm in that you are unable to provide care. Honestly these situations just make me angry when it's obvious a care home is the way forward. You need to step back and let the care at home fail, because it will.
They tried that with us too.
I was adamant she was not going back home.
Told them you can put 20 carers in a day and I’ll still not agree! It’s a proper assessment & then residential care suitable for her needs.
Carers have not worked in the past. We’ve paid thousands & the situation has not improved if anything it’s worse!
Much as it hurts to hear her plead to go home I know it’s no longer a viable option - she does not have the capacity to engage or interact anymore.
It’s painful as we would all love things the way she wants - but it certainly isn’t in her best interests anymore.
Be firm.
They look for chinks of guilt to get you to agree to care in their home.

UncleRobert

Jan 5, 2024
Something similar happened with a family member. She was adamant she was going home and we all (family and social workers) decided to let her go knowing she would fail. It only took two days and she was admitted into full time nursing care. We had our hearts in our mouths whilst she was at home with only the occasional care visit but the system kicked in and protected her from herself. She never settled in the care home and it was excruciating to hear her beg to go home.

Rosebuddy

Jan 5, 2024
Something similar happened with a family member. She was adamant she was going home and we all (family and social workers) decided to let her go knowing she would fail. It only took two days and she was admitted into full time nursing care. We had our hearts in our mouths whilst she was at home with only the occasional care visit but the system kicked in and protected her from herself. She never settled in the care home and it was excruciating to hear her beg to go home.
Dear UncleRobert. Do you mind me asking what happened at home for them to say it failed? And how willing were social services to act and 'rescue' your family member? I have thought about this option- how long could dad possibly manage at home - surely we will be lucky to get through a week! But then I'm worried because he is already quite advanced with dementia and they are suggesting giving it a go. Will I get backed into a situation where I daren't leave him alone, but no-one is going to help me so I'm kind of held to ransome if you know what I mean?

UncleRobert

Jan 5, 2024
Dear UncleRobert. Do you mind me asking what happened at home for them to say it failed? And how willing were social services to act and 'rescue' your family member? I have thought about this option- how long could dad possibly manage at home - surely we will be lucky to get through a week! But then I'm worried because he is already quite advanced with dementia and they are suggesting giving it a go. Will I get backed into a situation where I daren't leave him alone, but no-one is going to help me so I'm kind of held to ransome if you know what I mean?
They found her on the bathroom floor. Cold and disorientated. She had been given a call button but she was so confused she perhaps didn't think to use it. They thought she must have been there most of the night. They considered this to be a failure. We had to stay away from her to see if she could cope alone. That was very hard to do and we were worried what might happen. Social services put in what they considered was the correct care package and then we just had to wait and see. As this was discussed with Social services they were anticipating that the failure would occur. I think, looking back, that this was done mainly to prove to her that she couldn't be at home alone. Our only other option was for one of her children to give up work and move in with her full time, becoming her full time care giver. But with her suffering from Dementia and Parkinson's disease none of us felt able to do that.

wurrienot

Jul 25, 2023
I would be asking for the name and job title of the person who thinks that if he needs 1:1 support 24 hours a day in a care home, he will be able to manage with 4 visits a day. Make sure you have everything in writing with names and contact numbers of those making the decision. Put your concerns in writing and the fact that you will not be providing care or support.