Dad not helping with mums Dementia

Dpop

Jul 13, 2016
Hi everyone
my mum is 82 and was diagnosed with dementia a year ago. She insists there is nothing wrong with her. Her short term memory is quite bad. I do all I can but I get frustrated with my father. My parents are old fashioned, he worked and my mum was a housewife looking after 4 children. My dad had to finish work due to ill health when my mum turned 60. He had bowel Ca and ended up with a ileostomy. My mum has always done everything for him. Since they have both retired they have bickered on and off. She has done things at home her way for years but now he is at home he would do it differently so my mum must have been doing it wrong all this time. I joke with my husband that my dad has driven my mum mad. I do as much as I can, I work full time and have my own family. I clean and go to there home and make sure they are ok, make sure the clothes are washed. I now help my mum with bathing as she forgets to do it. She can still cook but forgets what she is cooking and starts cooking something else. I help with shopping now because she was buying the same things and forgetting to buy what was needed. I am frustrated because my dad gets annoyed that he has to do things. I have explained multiple times that she has dementia and will forget things. It never sinks in, its as though he is choosing to ignore it and looks to me to solve everything. The way he acts sometimes I really think he is jealous that he isn't getting all the attention as before. He shouts and gets annoyed with her and acts like she is doing it on purpose. I take them shopping for input into what they want but he wanders off, leaves it all to my mum and then moans when they get home, that she hasn't bought anything or bought same stuff. I have told him till I am blue in the face that he has to help more , help with picking the shopping but its like talking to a wall. I got meals on wheels, He didn't like them or my mum didn't cook them so they just stayed in freezer. I got M&S fresh meals but he moans about that. My mum doesn't help as she just says she doesn't like anything, Tesco and M&S don't sell anything she likes. I just do the shopping on my own now. He really annoyed me today. I went down to see if they needed anything and I reminded him that I now have a card for his bank account and if they need any shopping, just ring me and I will get it using his card. He didn't like that, apparently my mum is in charge of the shopping. He pays the rent and other stuff and she pays the utilities and shopping with her money. I couldn't believe it. We got into a huge row, he got out his bank statements (AGAIN) and started going on about he has to check 3 things every month and getting angry because I was going to get
shopping with his card. He wasn't listening to a word I was saying. He shouted at my mum because she wasn't defending him, not saying anything. I asked him why he didn't help her cook, or shop or help her wash in the shower. He said it wasn't his job. He always starts shouting ' its always my fault '. I love both my parents but I am ashamed of my dad sometimes, he acts selfishly and like a child who hasn't got his own way. My son who is 13 and wants to be a chef does more for his grandma. If I could get the meal thing sorted it would be better, however my mums lack of appetite and my dads pickiness is a problem.

Any advice would be helpful, Thanks

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Your Dad is in his eighties and my guess from his behaviour that he too has declining mental health. A younger man might adapt to a changing domestic situation but he cannot. Men of his generation were used to being the boss and waited on and this is a hostile world for him now. I wouldnt discuss the financial thing at all but just shop for what they need and let it come out on the statement whether or not he notices.

For your Mum I would speak to social services or the GP about referring her for a daycentre where she will be fed and entertained, have her hair and nails done, and have some company.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Gosh, @Dpop what a situation. Is your mum in receipt of Attendance Allowance? If not, I would get that applied for straight away. It could be used towards paying for some Care for your mum, to help out a bit. Maybe you could tell your dad that the Government pay for it? As for the shopping, could you arrange online shopping, if you have a card for their Bank Account? It would take some of the stress from you. I'd also suggest getting a Needs Assessment for your mum.

It may be that your dad is overwhelmed by the thoughts of what's happening, but at his age, it could also be that he's starting to have some problems processing information too and/or coping with new situations or ideas. If he's around your mum's age, coping with someone with dementia all the time must be exhausting. Would your mum consider attending a Day Centre or similar, which would give both of them a break.

Dpop

Jul 13, 2016
Gosh, @Dpop what a situation. Is your mum in receipt of Attendance Allowance? If not, I would get that applied for straight away. It could be used towards paying for some Care for your mum, to help out a bit. Maybe you could tell your dad that the Government pay for it? As for the shopping, could you arrange online shopping, if you have a card for their Bank Account? It would take some of the stress from you. I'd also suggest getting a Needs Assessment for your mum.

It may be that your dad is overwhelmed by the thoughts of what's happening, but at his age, it could also be that he's starting to have some problems processing information too and/or coping with new situations or ideas. If he's around your mum's age, coping with someone with dementia all the time must be exhausting. Would your mum consider attending a Day Centre or similar, which would give both of them a break.

Hi Thanks for listening to me and for your suggestions.
No she doesn't get attendance allowance, I will look into that. I think you are right about my dad, I worry he is having memory issues himself and im going to have to take him to see his GP. I did look into a day centre for them but my mum just says .. no I'm not interested. Neither of them have any interests, my dad used to like making things in his shed, but he cant do it anymore they don't have any social input apart from saying hello to their neighbours. I have offered to go with them till they get used to it. She doesnt have the concentration for anything anymore.
It feels like they give me a problem to solve so I give them options, I solve the problem, then they go back to doing what they did before and it was a complete waste of time.
We even offered to get a house big enough for all of us so they could eat with us and I would be there, if they needed me. That was also rejected. I think I'm just going to started doing online shopping without telling them and see what they think when its delivered.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
I second the online shopping idea - you have more than enough to do with running your own home (maybe do your own shopping at the same time?)!

Sometimes we have to push our PWD (Persons With Dementia) a little for their own good - just like we did with our children. Many PWDs have declared that they don't want to go to a DayCentre but have really enjoyed it once they have got used to it. A bit of input now can make a huge difference to how everyone copes with the situation and has the added advantage of getting both parents used to the idea of accepting help! However, you know them best, so you can decide whether you think mum really wouldn't like it, making the decision on how she is now, not how she used to be.

Please keep posting, many of us here find TP an absolute godsend!

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
How on earth did you mange to get the bank card/access to there account? Did dad agree in the first place?