Dad new symptoms

Tulipbud

Jul 9, 2020
Hi
For the past three weeks or so dad keeps asking me if I can hear a car alarm as he is constantly hearing it, when I get him to put his hands over his ears he can still hear it so it proves it’s something going on inside his head he also keeps saying to me every night I think I will go home tomorrow, he has lived with me and my family for two years now. He was diagnosed about 2.5 years ago with symptoms building up for at least 2 years before the diagnosis, he also lost his wife last September and every night will ask when is he going to see her, (she passed away in a nursing home after a major stroke 10 months previously )but during the day he sometimes remembers she has passed away.

just wanting to ask if these symptoms are a sign of things getting worse and what I can do to help, his diagnosis is Vascular Dementia with Alzheimer’s and is on 20mg of mematine a day.

Thank you for reading this.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Tulipbud

As this appears to be a sudden new symptom it could be caused by an infection like a UTI and you should have that checked.

It could also just be a worsening of symptoms so things like medication could also be discussed with the GP.

Vascular dementia does develop in a 'stepped' manner where there is a worsening and then a settling at the new level before the next step down

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Tulipbud welcome to DTP, you'll find lots of support and friendly advice here from others who have been in a similar situation. As has already been suggested, any sudden new symptoms should be checked out in order to rule out an infection or other health related issue. It is quite common for those with dementia to express a need to 'go home' but this often means somewhere 'safe', away from the confusion of dementia rather than an actual place, plus your dad is grieving for his wife too which may be increasing his anxiety. As you mention that this happens at night then your dad may be experiencing 'sundowning' and the factsheet below contains some useful tips to help with this. It could be that a change in medication could help too, so it's worth asking the GP for a medication review as there may be other medication available that could help with his anxiousness. I hope you are able to find a solution that helps your dad to feel more settled.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/symptoms-and-diagnosis/symptoms/sundowning

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Did your dad catch Covid at any point ?
I know two people who have now got tinnitus as an extra Covid symptom.

Adoralan

Mar 2, 2021
My mum has tinnitus. She constantly says she has a "fuzzy head" and I'm not sure if it's tinnitus she is talking about or the mental fogginess of dementia. Maybe it's both. Mum had Covid and developed some new behaviours, shadowing being one (couldn't walk so constantly calling out if someone went out of the room). She ended up back in hospital and was diagnosed with low mood/anxiety and given some form of anti-depressant. At first it made her quite manic, but once she got settled with it her mental clarity and clinging have improved immensely. My mum also lost her younger brother (cancer/Covid) just before Christmas, so possibly grieving is also involved, but we can't be sure how well she remembers that. She never talks about her brother, and never talked about my dad after he died some 3 years ago, before her dementia progressed that much. Anyone else have experience of anti-depressants/anxiety meds and dementia?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACampbell