Dad is suddenly coherent! Can people recover from dementia?

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Steroids make a bit of sense as they are used to dampen down inflamation and inflamation seems to crop up a lot in talk of causes of dementia. However, I can't believe it hasn't been considered before but, you never know.

jeannius

May 2, 2012
Sad to say!

Sadly for carers, their family/friend with dementia do have moments of lucidness when they appear to know who people are and where they are but I am afraid it is fleeting. Of course as a Christian I am always in hope of a miracle so who knows.
Don't be too up at present as next time you visit Dad may have reverted to confusion and it can be upsetting that healing hasn't happened.

Duffer

Aug 15, 2012
Maidstone, Kent
Hi
I understand what you are saying and each time I visit I prepare for the worst but dad has now been back with us for over 2 weeks and retains the awareness that he has lost a chunk of memory.
I will continue to explore all avenues - who knows maybe it wasn't dementia but an infection.
I know my dad and I know his recounting of 'being split in two' is genuine and not a delusion.
Who knows - maybe some research might find there is something in what dad is saying - who knows?

Sadly for carers, their family/friend with dementia do have moments of lucidness when they appear to know who people are and where they are but I am afraid it is fleeting. Of course as a Christian I am always in hope of a miracle so who knows.
Don't be too up at present as next time you visit Dad may have reverted to confusion and it can be upsetting that healing hasn't happened.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Absolutely, duffer.

Some of the responders do not seem to be aware of all that you have said about the scale and nature of the improvement you have described nor that you have more than once expressed your own doubts about whether it will last.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I think that everything you say makes sense Duffer and I really and truly do hope that your dad will maintain this understanding. i hope you can get some encouragement and answers when you have your meeting. As you say, you know your father best and are the best person to judge how he has improved. Masses of good wishes for you. X

susankell

Feb 9, 2011
luton
Your dad's "remission"

My dad was in hospital for 2 months and has been in his carehome for a 3 months. He was doubly incontinent, couldn't formulate a sentence, didn't know who we were or where he was or what was going on around him.
I managed to get him into a carehome close to where my daughter and I live and we have been visiting regularly since he has been in the home.
I was stunned today when I visited - I expected him to be as he has been for the past 5 months but when I got there today he knew exactly who I was, started asking what had been happening to him and how it had come about that he was in a home. He asked if he was ever going to be able to go home. He even asked why he was in that particular type of home (alzheimers) rathe rthan just a normal residential home. I explained to him that he had been needing 24/7 care in every aspect.
Am I being overly optimistic in hoping that dad's recovery will continue? I am so afraid that the next time I visit he may be back the way he was. Can people recover from dementia?

Dear Duffer, when was your dad diagnosed with Alzheimer's and how? From what you describe, it appears he was suffering from a severe infection which is why he was hospitalized. Has he been placed on any medication that would make him more lucid? eg exelon (rivistagmine), ebixa (memantine), etc? If so, this could make him appear "normal". If I were you, I would request a full medical assessment of him at this point. It appears your regular visits have helped him no end so good for you! My father, who passed away just before Chrtistmas, lasted at home for 3 years given the good care we gave him and at times appeared vey lucid despite being in the end stages of Alzheimer's. Dementia is not an all or nothing disease. Sometimes my dad astounded me by the questions he asked and the comments he made despite being unable to do anything for himself (bedbound, doubly incontinent, unable to drink or eat himself, totally incoherent at times, etc). Remember, he is still the person you know and love and treat him with love and respect. He will know what you are doing for him. Hope this helps. Love Sue x

Duffer

Aug 15, 2012
Maidstone, Kent
Hi Sue, dad had been living idependently at home with assistance from carers for 10 hrs a week. He ended up in hospital because he had started to behave strangely and his carers found him on the floor downstairs two morning running (once naked). We thought he had collapsed so paramedics were called and he was taken into hospital to be checked over. We think in hindsight that he had deliberately slept downstairs because he had forgotten how to use the stairlift.
He was in hospital for 2 months and they checked him for everything especially a urine infection but found nothing. They found he had vascular problems and the consultants said he most likely had vascular dementia.
He has been 'cognitively impaired' for 5 months and only started coming to three weeks ago. The only thing which stands out differently in the past few weeks is that he has been on 'flucloxacillin' to clear spome whitloes on his fingers.
The change in lucidity is amazing over the last 3 weeks and the last 2 occassions I saw him I would say he was 98% lucid. I visited him today and he is still lucid although there were a few occassions when he said some things which didn't make any sense so
and struggled for the right words for a few things so I feel his lucidity has declined a little since last week down to about 80%. It is still a major improvement from what he had been like but I am realstic enough to know that it's probably going to continue to slip down.
I guess I am hoping that dad's problem is an infection which causes dementia sypmtoms because infecttions can be treated where as dementia can't (yet!).
We're only going to find out if more research is done.
Who knows - from little acorns mighty oaks do grow!

Dear Duffer, when was your dad diagnosed with Alzheimer's and how? From what you describe, it appears he was suffering from a severe infection which is why he was hospitalized. Has he been placed on any medication that would make him more lucid? eg exelon (rivistagmine), ebixa (memantine), etc? If so, this could make him appear "normal". If I were you, I would request a full medical assessment of him at this point. It appears your regular visits have helped him no end so good for you! My father, who passed away just before Chrtistmas, lasted at home for 3 years given the good care we gave him and at times appeared vey lucid despite being in the end stages of Alzheimer's. Dementia is not an all or nothing disease. Sometimes my dad astounded me by the questions he asked and the comments he made despite being unable to do anything for himself (bedbound, doubly incontinent, unable to drink or eat himself, totally incoherent at times, etc). Remember, he is still the person you know and love and treat him with love and respect. He will know what you are doing for him. Hope this helps. Love Sue x

Delphie

Dec 14, 2011
I know someone who had post operative delirium. She's about 80. It lasted for about 3 months and had many features of dementia. In fact there was a suggestion of that in the end as a possible diagnosis. She did, however, snap out of it completely in the end.

Most of the medics involved in her care admitted that this is quite rare and none had experience of it, bar one nurse who'd once looked after an old chap who had it for about 2 months and then snapped out of it. My mum's SW had heard of one similar case.

I've no idea if this adds anything to the situation being discussed but it just goes to show how complex the human brain is!

carastro

May 7, 2012
I'v been reading this thread with great interest.
I get the feeling that your dad has had something else going on over the last few months which he has recovered /partially recovered from.

I would encourage the doctors to do a complete review of him. It might well be that he has some degree of dementia but I feel this has been exaggerated by whatever else has been going on.

I am really happy for you that you have "got your dad back" and that he is OK with staying where he is.

Carastro

Duffer

Aug 15, 2012
Maidstone, Kent
Hi all, I went up to the CH on Tuesday for a meeting with the CH manager and she is as astounded at dad's improvement as I am. Dad was going to be seen by the doctor later that day and the CH manager was going to make sure the doctor was aware of dad's change and also let her know about the things dad had been saying regardsing 'being split in two and coming back together'.
Dad has slipped a little with a couple of things which were a little delusional but on the whole he is still about 80% lucid and laughing and joking with the carers. One of the younger carers had sat with dad and completed the 'This Is Me' sheets with him. I had already done some when dad first moved in as he wasn't capable at the time but he had obviously participated fully in this latest one as there were some bits in there that I hadn't put in (like spending 2 years in the RAF). It's lovely that they are giving him that much care and involvement.
The only thing he was concerned about was having to move 'out' of the CH, once I put his mind at rest that there was no need to move anywhere he was fine.
I cannot stress how relived I am that he is happy with all the arrangements which have taken place over the past few months. I feel like a weight has been lifted!
Who knows what the future holds, I have him back for now and I count that as a blessing.
I will get back in touch with the doctor to find out her thoughts on dad's improvement.

I'v been reading this thread with great interest.
I get the feeling that your dad has had something else going on over the last few months which he has recovered /partially recovered from.

I would encourage the doctors to do a complete review of him. It might well be that he has some degree of dementia but I feel this has been exaggerated by whatever else has been going on.

I am really happy for you that you have "got your dad back" and that he is OK with staying where he is.

Carastro

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Good news that your father is still feeling reasonably lucid and happy in the home. Especially so that the manager agrees with your opinion of his improvement. That must make things easier regarding getting the Doctor to review him. It will be interesting what his conclusion is. Do come back and tell us won't you.:)

Duffer

Aug 15, 2012
Maidstone, Kent
Career going to get somebody to investigate dad's improvement

I had a long chat with the senior carer at te CH yesterday and she is going to speak to her tutor to see if we can get somebody to take notice of what dad has been describing and his apparent 'coming back together'.
There may be others whose dementia symptoms could be caused by whatever caused dad's - maybe something may come to light - we jut need somebody to listen and hear.

Duffer, it seems to me that most of the posts on here are talking about something different from, and less significant than, what you have described. You weren't just saying he was 'a bit more himself'.

However, sadly, they are almost certainly right in assuming that this improvement will be temporary. Do keep posting though, as what you have said is very interesting.

I sometimes think that if one day someone does find a cure, no-one will believe them.:(

ezman

Nov 3, 2012
Liverpool
Google Ernest Saunders and Guiness fraud. He claimed early onset dementia as a defence. It's an interesting story

Duffer

Aug 15, 2012
Maidstone, Kent
Dads improvement declining a little

Dad has started to decline a little since his major improvement. His blood sugar levels (he is diabetic) are erratic. They had been very high but are now worryingly low - especially in the mornings. He is still vastly improved compared to a couple of months ago but I can see he is slipping backwards.
I have told the home that if he continues to slip back then I want te doctor to give him the antibiotics they gave him for his fungal infection. I know there is no reason to do so but the way I see it - they won't do any harm and who's to say that there wasn't a connection between them and his previous improvement!
Dad even shocked me the other day by saying that he wanted to be a doner when he goes - its almost as though he knows something has happened which might shed some light on dementia after his death.

He still talks about being splint in two whenhe wasn't well - even to the point of saying that the 'other one' might have moved the tv remote.

Who knows what has been going on in his brain

I had a long chat with the senior carer at te CH yesterday and she is going to speak to her tutor to see if we can get somebody to take notice of what dad has been describing and his apparent 'coming back together'.
There may be others whose dementia symptoms could be caused by whatever caused dad's - maybe something may come to light - we jut need somebody to listen and hear.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Even more interesting for me now that I've looked up whitlows. Most are apparently caused by one of the herpes viruses, in which case the usual medication (if med is required) would be an anti-viral like aciclovir. Is is possible that this is what he was given? I only ask because of the known link between the herpes simplex virus HSV1 and dementia, a link which was first discovered in the nineteen seventies but which is still being ignored by people who should know better.

Gosh, that's interesting - my mother used to get a lot of cold sores. I'd never heard of such a link before.

Duffer

Aug 15, 2012
Maidstone, Kent
Dad is already starting to slip back. I have spoken to his doctor who sas he as a chest infection which she is treating with antibiotics (not the sae ones he ad before). This week they have had trouble stabilising his blood sugar levels and he almost went into a diabetic coma at the weekend.
He is still aware that he has the chunk of memory missing but he is starting to struggle to find the right words for things and looses his train of thought very quickly.
I will see the outcome of the course of antibiotics and hopefully that will resolve his chest infection but if his mental state continues to decline I am going to ask the doctor to give him the other antibiotics.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Very true Stanley. I think most who posted here originally would like to know and are hoping for a happier outcome. Best wishes Duffer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tired2023