Dad in hospital. Not spoken to a doctor yet.

SMBeach

Apr 19, 2020
Hi everyone.
I visited dad in Scotland having made the king trip from Kent sims 500 miles away. I had a list as long as my arm of things I needed to do during this visit as I was only there for 6 days. I also had meetings arranged with social services, dementia support, community mental health nurse for elderly and jobs set up for a diy man to do. Right in the middle of all this dad started bleeding lots and lots and lots from his penis. It was pure blood. Bright red and went everywhere. All over his hands, the bathrooms etc. I’d never witnessed so much blood from somewhere like this. Ambulance took him to hospital, not his local one. So I found myself having to drive 35 mins each direction when visiting him in hospital each day. His catheters filled up bag after bag after bag with bright red blood. Nobody could tell me why. No doctors there when I was there so I’d ask the nursing team. They said he had no infection and they wanted the blood to stop before they did any further tests such as ct scan. That was done in my last day in Scotland and I was with dad as he went for his scan. I was told results might be in later that day Friday but might not be til Saturday. I called the hospital the following day as I’d been travelling all day back home. All I got told was that they couldn’t give me the results over the phine. I explained who I was. That I also had power of attorney. That is visited every day and spoken with nurses and my contact details were on file. I also pointed out I lived some 500 miles away and was dads only family. So they said they’d get a doctor to call me either later that day Saturday or the next day Sunday. They also said they weren’t going to take dad to Theatre just yet!! I said oh, so they’ve found something operable? He may need an operation? And nurse said no that’s not what she said. And she repeated the same words. Ehhhhhhh. If there’s a thought he might be taken to Theatre then obviously it’s something that could be operated on! Anyway. They know dad has Alzheimer’s and he’s been quite confused whilst in hoslital. Asking me to bring in his piano to play when I asked if he wanted a magazine or book to relieve the boredom etc. or when the nhs staff didn’t have cappacino he’d say it’s ok you can get it out my kitchen cupboard. Etc. I’m worried now I’ve gone back to Kent that he will forget I’ve been visiting every day while I was there and it’s only because I’ve had to go hime that I’m not. I assured him I’d be calling hospital every day to find out what’s happening. I also set up his bedside phine so I could call him and speak with him which I’ve called 3 times now and he’s not answered. It’s difficult to reach but has a very loud ring so everyone would have heard it but clearly nobody’s thought to pull it round so he can reach it. I worry he thinks he’s on his own. And nobody is calling him when I’ve been trying. I just want a doctor to call me and tell me what they’ve found from the scan. Meantime they are just going to monitor dad before deciding whether to operate or not. I don’t know if they’ve told dad what they’ve found. I just worry he’s sat on his bed 24/7 unable to walk or stretch his legs. Get cold as he was only given a thin sheet and blanket fir through the night and a thin cape on. I worry he can’t reach his buzzer or get the attention of nurses. I just feel completely helpless and totally in the dark. He’s been in hospital almost a week now and I’ve still not spoken to a doctor. Hospital are recommending dad goes from 2 carer visits a day to 4. Social services had thought keep it at 2 visits but longer to give dad some company as he’s extremely lonely. I worry that hospital suggesting 4 visits (this means any increase after that will be in a care home), will impact their decision whether to operate or not. Dads 80. A healthy good looking 80 other than his dementia and what ever it is he’s got wrong with him right now. I don’t want hospital deciding not to operate because he’s old and will probably end up in a care home. I’m fed up being kept in the dark.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Sorry to hear this news @SMBeach. I'm sure someone who knows the Scottish system will be along with advice soon, but is there a hospital social worker or PALS there you can contact about what is happening with your dad?
From what you've said on other recent posts I think your dad is at the stage where a care home would be much safer for him, and it would put your mind at rest too.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
is there a hospital social worker or PALS there you can contact about what is happening with your dad?
PALS is not available in Scotland, there is a third party PASS run by CAB Scotland who should be able to advise on best approach.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Just a thought that a trip to theatre for your dad might be for a diagnostic procedure so perhaps not surgery yet.

It must be very frustrating living so far away and having so much trouble with such poor communication from the hospital. I hope that you find out what is happening soon.

Julie May

Jan 15, 2023
Hi everyone.
I visited dad in Scotland having made the king trip from Kent sims 500 miles away. I had a list as long as my arm of things I needed to do during this visit as I was only there for 6 days. I also had meetings arranged with social services, dementia support, community mental health nurse for elderly and jobs set up for a diy man to do. Right in the middle of all this dad started bleeding lots and lots and lots from his penis. It was pure blood. Bright red and went everywhere. All over his hands, the bathrooms etc. I’d never witnessed so much blood from somewhere like this. Ambulance took him to hospital, not his local one. So I found myself having to drive 35 mins each direction when visiting him in hospital each day. His catheters filled up bag after bag after bag with bright red blood. Nobody could tell me why. No doctors there when I was there so I’d ask the nursing team. They said he had no infection and they wanted the blood to stop before they did any further tests such as ct scan. That was done in my last day in Scotland and I was with dad as he went for his scan. I was told results might be in later that day Friday but might not be til Saturday. I called the hospital the following day as I’d been travelling all day back home. All I got told was that they couldn’t give me the results over the phine. I explained who I was. That I also had power of attorney. That is visited every day and spoken with nurses and my contact details were on file. I also pointed out I lived some 500 miles away and was dads only family. So they said they’d get a doctor to call me either later that day Saturday or the next day Sunday. They also said they weren’t going to take dad to Theatre just yet!! I said oh, so they’ve found something operable? He may need an operation? And nurse said no that’s not what she said. And she repeated the same words. Ehhhhhhh. If there’s a thought he might be taken to Theatre then obviously it’s something that could be operated on! Anyway. They know dad has Alzheimer’s and he’s been quite confused whilst in hoslital. Asking me to bring in his piano to play when I asked if he wanted a magazine or book to relieve the boredom etc. or when the nhs staff didn’t have cappacino he’d say it’s ok you can get it out my kitchen cupboard. Etc. I’m worried now I’ve gone back to Kent that he will forget I’ve been visiting every day while I was there and it’s only because I’ve had to go hime that I’m not. I assured him I’d be calling hospital every day to find out what’s happening. I also set up his bedside phine so I could call him and speak with him which I’ve called 3 times now and he’s not answered. It’s difficult to reach but has a very loud ring so everyone would have heard it but clearly nobody’s thought to pull it round so he can reach it. I worry he thinks he’s on his own. And nobody is calling him when I’ve been trying. I just want a doctor to call me and tell me what they’ve found from the scan. Meantime they are just going to monitor dad before deciding whether to operate or not. I don’t know if they’ve told dad what they’ve found. I just worry he’s sat on his bed 24/7 unable to walk or stretch his legs. Get cold as he was only given a thin sheet and blanket fir through the night and a thin cape on. I worry he can’t reach his buzzer or get the attention of nurses. I just feel completely helpless and totally in the dark. He’s been in hospital almost a week now and I’ve still not spoken to a doctor. Hospital are recommending dad goes from 2 carer visits a day to 4. Social services had thought keep it at 2 visits but longer to give dad some company as he’s extremely lonely. I worry that hospital suggesting 4 visits (this means any increase after that will be in a care home), will impact their decision whether to operate or not. Dads 80. A healthy good looking 80 other than his dementia and what ever it is he’s got wrong with him right now. I don’t want hospital deciding not to operate because he’s old and will probably end up in a care home. I’m fed up being kept in the dark.
I really feel for you as I had all of this and I'm only 10 minutes walk away from the hospital.
I got so cross I refused to leave after visiting until someone did something.
Mum and Dad were both in at the same time and it was a 7 minute walk between wards. I was exhausted with the whole thing. One doctor told me that he didn't speak to patients relatives, Mum's ward, but the first doctor in Dad's made a point of coming round each bed during visiting time.
They are so inconsistent. Get a social worker but not a hospital one. Council social services but you have to be referred by a GP. Kick up a fuss even get his MP involved. It's hard, so much harder than it needs to be.
Good luck to you both and best wishes.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
One doctor told me that he didn't speak to patients relatives
The arrogance of some doctors never fails to astound me. Who does he think he is? Communicating with relatives is part of his job. How would he feel if his relative was in hospital and a doctor said that to him? Would he accept that? No, of course he wouldn't so why should you? :mad:

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
I really feel for you. My mum was admitted at the height of covid with broken pelvis Couldn’t get any info. The phone frequently wasn’t answered at all. Main switchboard. Mum was moved around the hospital and I wasn’t told. Mum had delirium and couldn’t use her mobile.
in the end I physically went to the hospital ( I am local I know you aren’t)
I went in masked up and asked where my mum was.
i remember the distress.
sending you best wishes.