Dad in denial but needs help

Alex C

May 2, 2011
Hello Alex - I do sympathise. I'm sure a number of us here have been in a similar situation at some stage. I even experienced a similar thing with the car story - my aunt had a story about that which bore no resemblance to any kind of truth, and she stuck to it for ages during a period when none of us were reeiving any kind of support or help.

Personally, I found social services no help, and ultimately more of a hindrance, although as you are going away I think if they knew there would be noone at all checking on your father that should strengthen your case. They always insist, though, they they can't do anything without the person's consent, and if your father is like my aunt was he definitely will not give that.

You describe your father seeing a doctor - was that a psychiatrist? If your Dad was referred to the mental health team - that would be the psychiatrist - then even if he did 'well' on the memory test, then he should be 'under their care'. If that is the case, I would ring and ask if you could speak with a Community Psychiatric Nurse. I found these to be useful, though they were not able to visit very often. They were able to give me good advice at least. The psychiatrist also washed his hands of my aunt's case after diagnosis. The GP was more helpful though - sometimes people respect a doctor more than someone else. Does your father still take the car out? If he does it is obviously a risk. The doctor your father saw obviously gave your father the impression that there is little wrong with him. If the GP or CPN knows what has been going on they may be willing to take a different approach with him. It sounds to me like he needs to be persuaded to agree to have someone coming to visit him while you are away, whoever that may be - social worker, CPN or GP.

It is very hard to manage this situation, and I am sure you are doing the best you can.

Yes it was a psychiatrist.The CPN idea sounds interesting, thank you.

bunnies

May 16, 2010
I'm very concerned that without power of attorney my father's care might be decided by strangers. Does anyone have any more information about how these things work? I assumed that when he got bad enough my wife and I would step back in and make sure he got the right kind of care, even if we had to pay. Would the social services prevent us from doing that? I called them yesterday but there was noone I could speak to and so I'm expecting a call back.
QUOTE]

As far as I understand it, social services is only too happy to let someone else sort out what care and when, so I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem if you want to be involved. The problem only arises when they feel that the person is at home and is 'at risk' for some reason, ie if they think the person isn't properly cared for - at that point they can intervene, although from my experience, (and your from the sounds of things!) things have to be a real crisis before that happens. If your father or yourself are able to pay for care they will be more than happy for you to make the decisions. If you want them to pay for the care then obviously they will then have more input.