Dad has Lewy body dementia

Becks77

Jul 11, 2014
Hi all, I am new to this forum and looking for a bit of advice.

My dad (69) has just recently been diagnosed with Lewy body dementia (a few weeks ago at most although we had suspected he had this type of dementia since the beginning of the year).

As a family, we have been trying to come to terms with the diagnosis when on Monday my mum had an accident and broke her hip. Obviously she is in hospital after having a hip replacement and is going to be transferred to a rehab unit tomorrow as she is taking a while to recover (had a few complications after surgery - she has RA and osteoporosis).

The worst part of the story I suppose is that mum had not even really started to look into getting help in the home so I don't know where to start. I live about an hour or so drive away and my brother is further. I have taken time off work, so has my brother and my auntie has come up to stay for a while but we are struggling for a couple of days next week and I don't know if it is ok to leave my dad in the daytime or not (I will commute so will be with him overnight when he is at his worst.

Has anyone else on here had experience of this condition as it doesn't seem to be well heard of - even though it is apparently the second most common form of dementia?

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

PS. it's probably worth mentioning that dad is still in the 'I don't need any help' stage and will not even use a stick as they are for 'old people' apparently! a very proud and stubborn man!

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
You immediately need to ask social services for a care assessment as your Dad is in his own while Mum is in hospital. I would start with that and also phone Age UK for advice on what to do next.

Becks77

Jul 11, 2014
Thank you both for replying so quickly.

I will get onto social services as soon as I can (and Age UK). I have just had a bit of good news though - my auntie is going to come back next week to cover the 2 days we were struggling with so at least dad is not going to be on his own.

I know that mum has got some numbers to call for carers for herself for when she gets home so hopefully dad will get used to having people coming in the house that way.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Hello there and welcome to TP.
Have you looked at the AS's factsheet on Lewy Body dementia?
It might help a bit.
The link is below.
In fact Lewy Body is the third most common cause of dementia, Vascular being the second.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=113

I hope your mother soon recovers and is able to have help in the house as it will be difficult for her with her added health problems.

annie irma

Apr 3, 2014
Mum has LBD

Hi and welcome,
Can't believe so many people seem to have had similar experiences to us. Mums seemed to plunge into LBD with us not really picking up on things or not being listened to, as she did well with the memory test! Although at home she had forgotten to use the remote control on the telly, how to turn the cooker off and put a cordless phone down. It was only when severe Parkinsons like symptoms appeared suddenly that dr's started to listen. By that time she had fallen, broken her wrist and was admitted for rehab. From there it just snowballed, leaving us feeling like we were in a tunnel with no light at the other end. It does help to know you are not alone and at the moment am trying to grasp the good visits, or you get bogged down with the constant battles with all as in the morning, when Mum gets seen, she is always at her very best. Just wished these people worked in the evenings!
Keep going and support each other.
Regards
Annette