Dad, dementia & money paranoia

Meas

Dec 10, 2022
Hello, first post here and I’m struggling with dad, 90, with Alzheimer’s and his increasing paranoia about me and increasingly my husband too.

After several bad falls, awful stays in hospital and falling for several large scams, he now has a live in carer and I have POA for property and finance.

He hadn’t been paying bills on time, had cancelled insurances, lost a lot of money in very obvious frauds and I really had to take over all his bills and investments. He now has one account and debit card he can use, and the rest he needs me to be with him in branch. He used to be so fastidious about his banking and bills.

But now he cannot remember his PIN, has never used online banking, can’t remember telephone banking passwords or hear on the phone well, and so only uses his card to take out cash over the counter, to pay the last two bills/services that take cash. Everything else I do online or his carer does with her shopping card, usually with him.

He gave me POA years ago, so keen to set it up that he dragged me across town with a very young baby to do it, and we registered it when his dementia was confirmed.

I visit atleast twice a week, I take him annotated bank statements, receipts, email copies of any transactions I make, go through his accounts and print off extra statements whenever he asks, but he seems to have lost his grasp on the value of money.

Things that now cost £100 in his mind should still be £10 . We find cash and lost bank cards and bank books turning up in the most unlikely places.

Recently I realised quite how much cash he was holding at home, and that he wasn’t really aware where it was, so with him did a treasure hunt, counted it together and went together to the bank to pay it in to his book account. He seemed happy he’d be earning interest and how much we’d found.

Today, upon visiting, I was very angrily told my husband had come and persuaded him to invest this money and he was refusing to give it back to dad! Carer then confided that he’d been so distressed the day before this story he’d been trying to call solicitors to make appointments about this. He hasn’t seen my husband for months, and he’s never been involved in dad’s finances beyond listening to my moaning when I get home.

My visits now solely seem to consist of trying to calm and reassure dad’s latest paranoia, going through pages of bank statements again, before going home to the next time. I’ve told him any time he’s worried about something like that, he can call, or ask the carer to, and I’ll come over, rather than leaving him to worry and panic more.

I’m so tired and hurt of being constantly accused. Distraction doesn’t work, yet.
I guess the scams and losing lots of money before diagnosis are constantly playing on his mind and he’s filling the blanks.

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
We found that with MIL the best tactic was 'out of sight out of mind' - we got bank statements sent to us (we had Deputyship) and removed any correspondence from the house.
It might be worth trying not letting him see statements and going through them with him - trying to tell him you will sort it / postal strikes so no statements - something on that line and see if the obsession goes away. It might not work but it did for us.
The value of money thing made me smile and remember my late FIL - a social worker asked him if he had any savings during a capacity assessment, his reply was 'Yes, my mum has my £10 saving - she is keeping it safe for me' - has was 84 at that point.
It is very wearing this stage of obsessions but it does go away eventually- hang in there you appear to be doing a great job.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It sounds to melike your dad can no longer understand his finances and the whole process is really worrying him and making him paranoid. I had the same problem with mum - being taken in by scams, not paying bills, hiding stashes of money around and becoming paranoid.

Now is the time to register the POA with the bank and take over his accounts, so that he doesnt have to come to the bank with you to do things, you can make sure all his bills are paid and can get the bank accounts sent to your address so that he is not constantly mulling over things that he can no longer understand. Dont keep trying to involve him in his finances or trying to explain what is going on. Just reassure him that you are looking after his money and it hasnt all gone.

Imogenlily

Jul 27, 2022
Hi

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Parts of your story sound very similar to my mum. In the last couple of years she's completely lost the ability to manage her finances, and to be honest struggled after my sister died eight years ago, she just shut down over them.

I agree with thistlejack, it's definately best 'out of sight out of mind'. My mum went through a stage of beliving me and my brother were trying to steal from her. She started ringing people saying we were taking her savings and trying to kick her out/sell her house. She even called my deceased sister's fiance about it late at night (fortuntely he was amazing about it). When eventually that stopped she started getting panicked and upset - she didn't understand bank statements, forgot her PIN. She also can't use her mobile phone or computers and online banking was just a no-no.

She also had no clue about online banking/mobile banking and got in a big mess with her finances. Foruntely - and sadly - I think she's now at the stage where she doesn't remember to get upset about money and I handle/keep tabs on it

Some things I'd suggest (no worries if you don't feel they'll work)
  • Register your LPoA with the bank he uses - most have a form you can fill out. They do have services that can help. Just be aware they also have a box to tick if you think your relative has lost mental capacity to handle money. This can be a bit tricky because I *think* anyone else that uses the account e.g. if it's a joint account can no longer access it - but you may need to check this
  • Ask the bank to let you be in charge of your dad's cards, cheque book etc and keep them with you. If your dad won't give them to you, you can ask for new ones to be issued, but the bank will cancel his current card/cheque book etc. SOmetimes that is fine and just visually having a card they don't use can calm them, but if he keeps trying to use it, you may need to 'loose' the defunct card etc
  • Sometimes it helps to have a small amount of cash for the person in their wallet, so they still feel in control of their money
  • Use internet banking for your dad or sign up if he doesn't use it - and make sure to select 'paperless' this will stop statements etc going to his house
  • Try to download an app for the bank your dad uses onto your phone, it will enable you to quickly keep tabs on his finances
  • Have a search of his house for all the money and take it away - but leave a certain amount in a wallet or somewhere he can access. Also search his home and take away all paperwork that mentions money - invoices, bank statements, sales, bills etc, take it all away - as soon as my mum saw paperwork no matter what it would trigger a freakout so I'm wondering if that might be the same for your dad
  • Buy large 'no cold calling' signs and stick them on your dad's front door. Also consider buying a video doorbell so you can see who's at the door
  • Also consider buying a number blocker for your dad's phone. Does he still have a landline? You can buy them for that. Can your dad use a mobile phone (my mum can't). If he has one I think you can set it to block unfamiliar numbers. This should help with people ringing up for services/scamming
  • When you're able to get into his account, try to set up so that all bills etc are paid automatically by direct debit that way neither of you have to worry about forgetting a bill etc
  • When you log into his account, go to settings and change his phone number to yours, put in your email address so that if need to the bank will contact you rather than your dad - you might be able to speak to the bank about this too
  • If you can afford to, consider putting up some cheep outdoor (and possibly indoor) cameras that can record your dad at the door - put a USB stick in there so you can play back - if there's a scammer at the door or in his home, you have recorded evidence. You can get them fairly cheaply on amazon
  • If you can, talk to his neighbors and ask them to keep an eye on your dad especially with door callers etc
  • There may be a way to opt out of recieving junk mail e.g. charity bags, sales of windows, takeaways etc as this can trigger things as well
I think you'll probably need to completely take over his finances, and keep all the log-in details, PINs, passwords etc safe with you where you are. Try not to talk about money to him. With any luck once people stop calling and he stops seeing finances/money he may calm down and relax

I hope this helps, please keep us updated.