D day-what next?

The gigger

Mar 4, 2024
My wonderful wife and best friend of 42 years has just been diagnosed with dementia, her doctor was so casual about it, pausing briefly in keyboard entries to look at Sarah and tell her before returning to her paperwork…

We left shortly afterwards and went for a walk/cry, aware that her memory was causing issues I now drive us everywhere & carry out more n more daily tasks (which I’m very happy to do) in prior visits to the memory clinic she was prescribed Certraline 100mg & the nurse wanted to up it to 150mg, Sarah pushed back & over a month weaned herself off (with my help) the doc prescribed Prozac 20mg & wanted Sarah to take it regularly/memory nurse is carrying out a home visit at the end of the month. Personally I’m not happy about the chemical cosh that medics seem to gravitate towards & a retired GP friend thought medication not helpful, there’s so much conflicting advice online, I don’t know what to believe.

She was (prior to me working full time with her) stressed and agitated/anxious but as she’s far more relaxed now (although somewhat depressed on occasion).

Any advice greatly appreciated & thanks in advance.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @The gigger and welcome

The time around diagnosis is often emotional and overwhelming for both the person diagnosed and also for their family

There is no cure for dementia, or even halting the progression, so it is more a question of treating the symptoms. Dementia and depression often go hand in hand. I dont have dementia and have previously taken both citalopram and prozac (not at the same time!) for depression/anxiety, but didnt find either of them a "chemical cosh". They just dialled down the emotions somewhat and allowed me to cope with things.

If your wife is becoming depressed again then the prozac could well help to lift her mood. I would talk to the doctor who prescribed it.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @The gigger and firstly welcome to this friendly and supportive forum.
I am sorry to read about your husband's very recent diagnosis. It's tough for sure even if you were half expecting it.
You will probably read a variety of thoughts on here on the various medications available, and what seems to work for some people, doesn't necessarily others. I certainly would take advice from the doctor. Any meds can always be tweaked further down the line, but I would say it is worth taking doctors advice.
One practical matter I would mention, is do apply for Lasting Power of Attorney for both the health and welfare one and the property and financial one, if you haven't already. This will make things easier for you further down the line:
This forum us really a great place for support and understanding. Some members find it helps just putting things down on here sometimes. Members really do understand and want to help.

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
It’s hard for anyone when they get this diagnosis, they are usually well aware in the moment even if they forget later so it’s still hard for them each time it’s mentioned, I wouldn’t write off the tablets straight away, part of the disease is a difficulty to articulate how they feel. My husband was getting aggressive at times and the GP have put him on mitrazapine and it has made such a difference so in hindsight it’s probably been anxiety. Still getting a few moments but much calmer now and GP was very clear that they aren’t prepared to over medicate these days because of the evidence they have of injuries when this used to be the case. Good luck with everything.

The gigger

Mar 4, 2024
Thank you at for your thoughts they’re much appreciated & I’ll certainly consider all the points raised, bless you 👍

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksacytotec