Currently seeking diagnosis for Mum.

Angelah18

Feb 14, 2019
Hi everyone. I'm hoping to gain some advice & support.
My mum (58) is currently waiting to see a neurologist regarding the symptoms she currently has. She has been having symptoms which started gradually around September last year, it began with episodes of confusion & short term memory loss, she was hospitalised at the end of November after having a severe episode of this, mri showed that she may have lost spinal fluid and showed pockets of fluid which the first neurologist suggested was unrelated to the symptoms she was having & they are investigating this as a separate thing. Since November she has developed a tremor which over time has worsened, her short term memory is deteriorating as is her mood, she has extreme tiredness & can instantly over react to things that wouldn't bother her as much prior to being ill. We are currently waiting on an app to see another neurologist & further tests. I just really wanted to get some advice as to whether these symptoms sound familiar to anyone. Thank you x

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Angelah18 you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

The things you describe are symptoms I have read about on the forum before so I'm sure you will get replies from members with experience.

In the meantime, I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that, once a diagnosis is provided, will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc. The importance of a diagnosis is even covered.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.