Current poa registration timescale

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
You are all referring to waiting times for LPA but does it make a difference whether it is LPA for Property/Finance or Health/Welfare? Are they done by same organisation with different piles or all lumped the same i.e. in order of receipt - would anyone know?

We applied for both in the same envelope, and we received emails a few minutes apart to confirm they were being processed from the same case worker and got both back together. I suspect that the heap is processed in order irrespective of which type.

snowygirl

Jan 9, 2014
I haven't even had one email but I rang to check that they had been received and had clarification that they were due to be looked at 8 weeks in. I do think everyone should receive one e-mail at least!

withy

Feb 23, 2013
Lancashire
Hi, I must have been lucky. I applied for both LPAs about 20th March, got one part C back to get re-signed about 10 days later. This took a week as son lives in Durham. Sent it back, and received both registered forms back on 8th May. Perhaps you need an error on it to keep it at the top of the pile?

snowygirl

Jan 9, 2014
Oh dear thanks for letting us know Withy but now I'm feeling really fed up with it all:mad:why is it all so difficult life is hard enough as it is without all this sort of stuff going on!! Maybe I'll mess up mums it might get through in half the time! You have been extremely lucky!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
To clarify - the emails were received once they looked at them - so about 8 weeks after submission I think

Submitted I think early Feb and finally received 29th April

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Withy did you do your application online? i did mine by snail mail, I wonder if that makes a difference. also jealous.:D

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Withy did you do your application online? i did mine by snail mail, I wonder if that makes a difference. also jealous.:D

They would all have to be posted as you need to have the original signatures on all the documents. We sent MIL's by registered mail (or whatever it's called these days!) £7 for next day delivery.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
i sent mine recorded. I know they've got it, they did at least tell me that. Every day when the post comes I think pleeeease be there, and it isn't, that's 3 plus months of disappointed post days.:(

snowygirl

Jan 9, 2014
I did mine on-line so I don't think it makes a difference. Its D day for me on Tues asin it will be 14 weeks. I'll let you know what happens when I call them then!

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Aren't we supposed to get something first that tells any interested parties that it has been applied for and gives them 2 weeks to respond? if that is the case, we will have even longer to wait, Snowy. But maybe I got that wrong.:confused:

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
good news and bad news. the good news is that i think I might have beaten Snowy.:D I got a letter this morning from them. The bad news relates to my post above...we now have to wait 4 weeks before they register LPA, oh and then it says they will send the LPA 'within 2 weeks' of that date. So that's a total of another 6 weeks and who knows if 2 weeks is 2 weeks really, when they previously promised that i would be at this point in 9 weeks, and it has taken 14 weeks.
AAAAAARGH!

snowygirl

Jan 9, 2014
oh yes you have beaten me Raggedrobin but at least its good news that things are moving!! I do now remember reading about the parties concerned receiving a letter on top of 'those already told' but I didn't realise the time span! This just goes on and on doesn't it. I'm guessing then that if you've had this letter then your actual application must be ok with nothing on it to query? I think I will send mum's off at this stage as dad really doesn't handle the finances its mum that I'm more concerned with now as she is the one who has been making silly financial mistakes and has now also been referred to the memory clinic :( Good news for you though well done(no hard feelings!!)

snowygirl

Jan 9, 2014
Nooooooo!!!!

Just spoken to the OPG and guess what my LPA has been rejected :mad:!!! It seems a letter is sitting there to tell me. The reason...I used my dad's cousin as his certificate provider AFTER having checked this on 12 January with the OPG themselves. I had myself researched this and found a case which led to this being changed in 2009 and first cousins being accepted as CPs. I quoted this to a young man in January who subsequently confirmed that in big bold blue letters across a document in his office it said " First cousins are not family." He said it was ok to go ahead and I did. I am so angry because although the man I spoke to today went away and said yes I was right :p my LPA will be delayed even longer whilst they inform the case worker and relook at my case. I really am angry as it appears everything else is ok and I did all the right things in January that I should have done. I complained about the lack of contact over this and was told that once upon a time I would have received a call or e-mail by now but they are sooooo busy its impossible to keep up with everything. I'm exhausted by it all I'm beginning to think a visit to a solicitor with all the LPA's in hand at one time may have been better. Life is hard as you all know with parents with Alzheimers without all this, I'm exhausted by all the red tape :(

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Oh Snowy, I can't even gloat, that is such a nightmare! I am so sorry for you. That was my worry, that they might be sitting on mine and then reject it. I imagine they must be one of these offices that is having cuts to staff/costs, maybe.
Infuriating. particularly that they didn't get in touch to tell you, grrrr! Not sure it would have been any faster via a solicitor, though, presumably they just go through the same system?
It is so hard finding someone to be the witness, I found, when you get to my mum's age everyone has died off.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Woooohooo! Finally got POA!:D It has taken about 4 MONTHS!:eek: At least when they said it would be within 2 weeks from the date they gave me, it actually was only a week before. Now got to go on to registering with the banks.

i wonder how poor Snowy is getting on, and the rest of the gang in the waiting queue?

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
Jul 18, 2012
Woooohooo! Finally got POA!:D It has taken about 4 MONTHS!:eek: At least when they said it would be within 2 weeks from the date they gave me, it actually was only a week before. Now got to go on to registering with the banks.

i wonder how poor Snowy is getting on, and the rest of the gang in the waiting queue?

So pleased and thanks for posting how long it actually took and gives a heads up for other people applying. Still would like to hear from those who applied for Deputyship and how long this took from applying, to being concluded/received if anyone can advise please?

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Posted MIL's today. (15th May) The clock is ticking.....:D

OH received e-mail acknowledgement today from the OPG that the letters had been sent out to those who were to be notified.

28 days allowed for that and then we should hear within a fortnight, so that takes us to mid-August, so that's looking like 12 weeks in total.

We would have been stymied without the interim OPA. There's already been an offer on her house!

snowygirl

Jan 9, 2014
yesssssssssssss

Hello everyone and RaggedRobin!

thanks for wondering about me! Just wanted to let you know that last week I did finally find out that my dad's LPA was ok following their attempt to decline it. I did have to chase it though and became an 'emergency' case!! My siblings have received emails and this week my dad got his notification letter. Hopefully by the end of the month I will have the final LPA all registered!! From start to finish its taken about 18 weeks in my case. Ive sent mum's off now but I don't expect to hear again from the OPG until October at the earliest!!! Just so that everyone knows though a first COUSIN is NOT classed as a family member so can be used as a certificate provider. They are cagey about this as they lost a court case in the 1990's which meant a big change to the rules but it does stand!!!!!

RaggedRobin can you let us know how you get on with the banks?