• We're currently experiencing technical issues with our newsletter software, so our Dementia Talking Point monthly updates have been put on hold for now. We hope to restart the newsletter soon.

    Find out more >here<.

Critical Illness Insurance claims


Registered User
Nov 30, 2007
Hi everyone, new user so apologies if I am posting in the wrong place.

My brother has just being diagnosed with early onset Altzheimers and I am helping him sort his money; etc. out. He has critical illness cover as part of his endowment [for mortgage] and we have got the claim form from Prudential. Obviously we need to be very careful when filling out the form whilst still being truthful.

My question is does anyone have any advice as to any organisations other than CAB who could assist us as this will be a huge burden lifted if sucessful.



Registered User
Jun 27, 2006
Hi Paul and welcome to Talking Point.

Honestly, the only people who come to mind are the CAB. Depending on where you are a law centre (lawcentres.org.uk) might be able to help, but I don't think they're really for form filling.

Although I have very little knowledge about critical illness coverage, I always thought the danger period was when you made the initial application - that is, if you didn't disclose every single thing that might have been relevent you may find that a claim is refused, no matter how well-filled out that claim form is. In other words, there's not much that can be done at this stage to influence a final decision. Perhaps I'm being unecessarily negative about it, but insurance companies do tend to get you on the basis of your application rather than your claim.

best wishes


Registered User
Nov 30, 2007
Thanks for reply

Thank you jenniferpa. That is prety much as I read details but you never know what others have found out so I thought it worth asking.


Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Hello Paul.

Good luck with the claim. If you have the slightest doubt about answering any of the questions or any information you give be sure to get help. CAB is the only organization I can think of, but the slightest mistake could prove very expensive.


Registered User
May 14, 2007
South East London/Surrey border
Hello Paul,

So sorry to hear about your brother.

It's obviously a big relief that he has critical illness cover in place and that you are handling the claim.

Whilst not exactly the same, I have had a claim for Permanent Health Insurance agreed this year on behalf of my husband who developed Fronto-Temporal Dementia at the age of 51 whilst still employed.

You are right to be cautious about your answers as the insurers will scrutinize your claim with a fine tooth comb for any possible reason not to pay. Our claim took 6 months to be agreed and there were endless letters back and forth between the GP, consultant and the medical experts apppointed by the insurers. The main problem area seemed to be that it was impossible to say exactly when Peter developed dementia. Whilst the GP and consultant were able to answer very easily that his condition would never improve, they were very guarded with their answers about how long he had been suffering with the condition. The insurers didn't like this at all, but persistence finally paid off.

As our claim was connected to employment, I used a solicitor who specialised in employment law to help, but that wouldn't be necessary for you. As others have said, CAB seems an excellent idea before you start.

I hope you are successful, as it will be such a huge help.



Hello Paul

Sorry to hear of your problem. Haven't been there myself, so may speak out of the top of my head, but can only add:

As others have suggested, CAB is a good start. And I would always "hang back" on filling any form until you have read it, then read it again, and then sought advice from CAB and from my suggestion below, but I don't know whether it may be of help to you:

We live in Berkshire, so don't know whether the same applies where you live, but we have a few solicitors who are available, normally on a Saturday, to give half-an-hour's free legal advice. You need to make an appointment, but it has worked for us in the past. So may be available where you live. I hope so. If it does exist in your part of the world, then come prepared with all the questions you would like to ask; make a short list,bring the forms you have to fill in, and BE PLEASANTLY SURPRISED by the fact that you can PACK AN AWFUL LOT INTO HALF-AN-HOUR OF FREE LEGAL ADVICE.

I do so hope it exists where you live; we found ours by Googling; and we were subsequently advised by CAB to go there and ask.

Good luck, hope it all works well for yourself and for your brother.



Registered User
Jul 31, 2007
Hope this helps

Dear Paul,
I had Critical Illness Cover in Peter's Insurance. He was 58 when he was diagnoised. Peter is now in E.M.I.Unit - final stages and is 62.
I contacted the Insurance Company and A.D. did come under the C.I.Cover.
They did pay out a lump sum, not enough to pay off the mortgage completely but half as it was down to the length of time, policy was taken out.
It was a God send, thank goodness I had that in his policy.
I wish you the best of luck. Christine