Cpn

Sox

Mar 12, 2011
Hello All - just wondered what your thoughts are on this:-

The delegated CPN has been less than helpful from the start, her only answer seems to be "respite". She has never attempted to actually speak to my husband and only saw him once on one of her earlier visits when he walked through the room we were sitting in. She was off work "sick" for 6 months last year and when she contacted me it happened to be when he had to go into respite because he had gone off his legs.
She rang me once while he was in respite and said "you are not thinking of having him home are you"!!

She has not contacted me since the end of November until yesterday when she rang and asked if I had got him home and had I got a downstairs loo installed then said she thought she would visit once more then discharge him because I didn't really need her because I was very organised and in fact hadn't needed her for some time!!

I do not feel I have had any support from her and in truth because she has been so useless I don't feel I need her but am hesitant to let her discharge him - I feel it's the easy option for her.

I am not really sure what to do because I have no faith in her and would really like to change to another CPN but I do know they are "a bit short on the ground" in our area.
I know there are good CPN's around because the first one we had was absolutely marvellous but unfortunately left to go into a lecturing post. She is visiting next Monday so will have to decide what to do by then. Many thanks. Thinking of you all. Take care Sox.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I can only suggest if your CPN is working with the consultant or memory clinic you try to have a word with someone about her lack of support.

You don`t want to shoot yourself in the foot but from what you say, you have little to lose. However you don`t want the file to be closed on your husband.

A good CPN is worth their weight in gold. A poor one is a waste of time and they are being allowed not to earn their money.

Tankette

Jan 11, 2012
London
You have the right to complain if you do not think you are receiving the care / treatment you deserve,
all you need to do is write to the manager - express your concerns and see if you can find a CPN who you are able to jell with better - stuff like this is like anything - there are gonna be some people who you get on with and find more helpful and some you dont find helpful or like their manor as much etc,

it doesnt have to become personal just a difference of opinion is all. (it happens all the time)

sammie

Aug 2, 2007
west yorkshire
hi

i don't think much about CPN'S the one we had was useless , but i am sure there must some out there that are worth there weight in gold , unfortunately ours wasn't

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
The CPN that we had was a waste of time.

At first it was agreed that I would call her if needed and the only time she came she kept saying it was time for my husband to go into care.

When he did go into care he was so upset he became aggresive so she had him sectioned.
We never saw her again , she never rang or visited to see how I was and has never been in touch since and that was nearly two years ago.

I heard she was working in A&E at our local hospital to help dementia patients when they came in but the times we have been to A&E we have never seen her.

I am sure there are some good CPN`s out there but mine was not.
Roseann x

winda

Oct 17, 2011
Nottinghamshire
We don't have a CPN now. We did have when my husband was first diagnosed and she told me I could phone her any time I needed help. I didn't contact her until a year later when I was told that she had retired and no-one seemed to think that she had been replaced. So I gave up on the idea. It sounds as though we haven't missed anything.

Linda

Sox

Mar 12, 2011
Thank you all for your replies - from what most of you say, unfortunately you have not been lucky with the CPNs either. As I said in my original post the first one who came when I really did need help with my husband, was absolutely amazing - he supported both of us so I do know what a good one can be like.

Unfortunately this one has really been no help at all - the first time she came here she rang me within an hour of leaving saying she had arranged a respite bed in a Residential Home and said she would take him the next day - without even seeing him or him having an assessment by either her or the home!

I am still undecided about what to do - I don't really want my husband to be discharged but I do wish I could get a better CPN - oh well will have to decide when I see her on Monday. I know they are short staffed and have large case loads but that shouldn't mean they can abdicate their responsibilities. Fortunately I have managed on my own - perhaps too well - but I still feel I should have some support. Look after yourselves. Sox

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smattels