Covid-19 self isolation for someone with Dementia

Shazaraz

Mar 23, 2020
Hi there my mum has dementia. She is very i depends and likes to be up and out every day. We are struggling as a family to keep her at home. Any suggestions or similar stories would be appreciated at this time. We have put a note on her door to remind her to stay home. However, she continues to go out and use public transport so is at risk for contracting this disease. She is 70..........I will look forward to hearing from anyone who is also struggling ??

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Shazaraz welcome to Dementia Talking Point

If you look around the site you’ll find quite a few people who are having the same problem with trying to keep their people with dementia at home while they should be. Unfortunately no-one has come up with a solution and notes on the door don’t work. The situation seems to be getting worse as daycentres are closing. I’m really hoping the government will come up with some solution - but if they do I imagine it will have to be fairly draconian.

sallysunflower

Mar 23, 2020
Hi @Shazaraz welcome to Dementia Talking Point

If you look around the site you’ll find quite a few people who are having the same problem with trying to keep their people with dementia at home while they should be. Unfortunately no-one has come up with a solution and notes on the door don’t work. The situation seems to be getting worse as daycentres are closing. I’m really hoping the government will come up with some solution - but if they do I imagine it will have to be fairly draconian.

sallysunflower

Mar 23, 2020
Im really struggling to keep my mum in. She lives in warden assisted flat, but warden is only there part time. All residents have been told to stay in their flats.
My mum who is 87 with a lot of underlying health conditions likes to go out everyday, its her routine. She goes to the park and up to local shop, anywhere else she would get lost. I am trying to get her to stay in as Im worried that even if she goes to the park she wont distance herself, she is very social and touchy feely.
One minute she understands and the next she dosnt.

she has carers go in twice a day and I have been doing shopping and pop in to see her regularly. unfortunatly now I am in isolation for 14 days as my husbands unwell. I really dont know how to deal with her.
Not the only one I know.....

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Im the same situation only ive moved in with my dad hes viotile and unpredictable ive posted under so much stress