Court of Protection Accounts

scared daughter

Account Closed
May 3, 2010
I have just recently been granted Court of Protection for mum and have been plouging through the system getting everything changed so it recognizes my deputyship.

Thing is her one bank just smoothly swapped it over, where as the other said I had to close mums account and it HAD to become a "business" account. I was given no option and told that it would run like a charity account.

Saw both banks within an hour of each other - first one is all sorted and up and running, second one no contact, so I rang them. first bank had issues me with a card stating I am deputy on it and a cheque book, second bank nothing. I rang and got a cheque book, but no letters no cards nothing.

When I went to check mums house - shes currently in a care home, we found a letter saying they couldnt do this change form hers to a business account as my signature isn't like hers. Had to go into branch as no one ont he phone could help me.

I hten said so am I not getting a card on this account, no we don't normally do that was there reply. So I calmly said well if I can't have a debit card (mum still needs me to buy her knickers and stuff and I really dont want to go down the cheque route) They finally gave in but now I have to write to her pension people and get them to change to this new account.

It's alot of hard work ALOT of hard work especially as mum had another TIA on saturday and is really not well.

Reason I am asking it I am poised to change the pensions to come to her new account and everything is telling me to change to the other bank as they have been smooth. I just worry about the status of this thing, the lady yesterday was talking like I chose it as a business account - I said ot her no you told me I had to - they also told me there would be no charges as per a business account it would be considered a community account BUT I'm not sure I trust them now :(

Anyone else got any experience of this? My gut reaction is saying go with her other bank and drop this one, my COP papers do allow me to do this I spoke to them yesterday as I was worried I was tied into this account.

Thanks in advance guys, it's very hard isn't it...............having to explain yourself and the situation everytime. The other bank I just have a card which says deputy on it and I use my pin and dont have to go over everything xx

Last edited by a moderator:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
As long as you keep clear records. receipts etc. you can do what you like with regards changing bank accounts etc.as long as it is in your mother's best interests. I opened a BS account for my husband with the N*****wide and they have been very supportive with online banking as well. I have to say so has the old black horse bank where our joint account is though. I would think a lot would depend on the amount of money you are talking about but I can't see why you have to have a business account at all. Our's isn't and I still don't pay any fees.

Last edited:

scared daughter

Account Closed
May 3, 2010
Thanks for your reply, they were going to ring me back before work this morning and haven't, but I have spoken to the Court of Protection who are LOVELY and supportive and confirmed I can move everything into the other account, going to go to work pretend life's "normal" and move it to her other bank x

All I want to do is get all of this officialdom out of the way so we can spend all our time and efforts on making mums autumn years as good as possible x

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
All I want to do is get all of this officialdom out of the way so we can spend all our time and efforts on making mums autumn years as good as possible x
I know - but save a little time for the report in a years's time!

scared daughter

Account Closed
May 3, 2010
Yes, I have been making a spreadsheet - and keeping reciepts

I thought best do it as I go along especially as I had to pay loads of mums bills x

I don't mind that bit, it's the dealing with folk who tell you one thing then do another x

Serato

Oct 13, 2013
West Country
http://www.bba.org.uk/publications/...age-a-bank-account-for-someone-else/leaflets/

If you can be bothered ... I suggest you refer the obstructive bank to the BBA Booklet (BBA is the Banks Trade Body) and make a formal complaint. Perhaps a small compensation payment would be made, but more important you would know you have made the effort to avoid the problem for the next customer.

Just ditch the baddies and work with the goodies.

Good luck.

scared daughter

Account Closed
May 3, 2010
Oh! Thanks I just checked my messages and this forum, bank NOT rung me, I will becasue someone today at work told me the same process has happened tot hem and they are having problem after problem. I didn't even know he has Court of Protection for his dad, it just shows we put our heads down and carry on as if nothings happening out there xx