Council tax

DiW

Nov 5, 2023
A friend mentioned to me that we might be able to have a reduction in council tax if my husband was diagnosed with dementia. Is this correct? What do I need to do to claim this?

JC51

Jan 5, 2021
Possibly. Your best way to find out is to get in touch with your local council.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Ring the LA and ask for a form to claim SMI (severe mental impairment) council tax disregard.

He must be eligible for one of the following benefits

• Short-term or long-term Incapacity Benefit (IB)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Attendance Allowance (AA)
  • Severe Disablement Allowance (SDA)
  • The highest or middle-rate care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Personal Independence Payment Daily Living Component at either standard or enhanced rate
  • An increase in Disablement Pension for constant attendance
  • The disability element of Working Tax Credit
  • Unemployability Supplement (abolished in 1987 but existing claimants remain entitled)
  • Constant Attendance Allowance payable under the Industrial Injuries or War Pension schemes
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Income Support which includes a disability premium because of incapacity for work
  • The ‘limited capability for work’ or ‘the limited capability for work related elements’ of Universal Credit

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Hi,Nitram has posted eligibility criteria.
I found once I made contact with the L A the process was quick. I received the form from them in a week. I completed it including permission for them to contact the GP and three weeks later I received a letter awarding the disregard. I also got a refund as the disregard had been applied to the previous September when diagnosis had been registered at the GP surgery.
Well worth doing if there is only two adults in the house. Best wishes

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If he gets SMI he will be disregarded for council tax purposes and the occupancy reduced by one.
Assuming only two of you live in the property this means the sole occupancy discount of 25% will apply,