Council tax reduction refused

sue2108

May 9, 2023
Hello
My husband has mixed moderate dementia and has recently been awarded Attendance Allowance at the higher level.
As advised by the memory team and other mental health care professionals I applied for 25% reduction on the council tax which comes out of his bank account. They have sent me a letter saying no to any reduction as we are married.
Has anyone else had this?
Have I filled in the wrong form ?
I sent the proof of AA and diagnosis of his condition.
Thank you for any thoughts .

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Wrong form.
You need to apply for SMI (severe mental impairment) disregard not any form of reduction.
He will be disregarded for council tax meaning occupancy is reduced by one, assuming that leaves you as sole occupant you will get a reduction of 25% backdated to when AA was awarded.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
We were married and we were granted a 25% reduction in council tax. We were also granted Attendance Allowance so there is a mistake somewhere @sue2108

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
We were married and I got the 25 per cent off, as said the key phrase (in England) is Several Mental Impairment (SMI) .
K

sue2108

May 9, 2023
Thank you all - I assumed I’d filled in the wrong form ….but today I have notification from the council mentioning adult disregard and working out at 25% less.
Bit confused now but right result 😊

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Bit confused now but right result
Excellent.
Hope confusion does not spread to GP practise and you are asked to pay for the free SMI certificate

Certificates GPs cannot charge fees for
Council tax exemptions

To support a claim by or on behalf of a severely mentally impaired person for exemption from liability to pay the Council Tax or eligibility for a discount in respect of the amount of Council Tax payable.
https://www.bma.org.uk/pay-and-contracts/fees/fees-for-gps/certificates-gps-cannot-charge-fees-for .

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Thank you all - I assumed I’d filled in the wrong form ….but today I have notification from the council mentioning adult disregard and working out at 25% less.
Bit confused now but right result 😊
Somebody took some initiative
Amazing!

Glad youve got it