Council tax reduction confusion

Cardamom

Jul 19, 2023
Please could someone help me with the confusion I have over this matter. My husband has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's dementia and we have written confirmation of this and how it affects him etc..
As far as council tax reduction is concerned, we have been given 3 different pieces of advice:

1. A nurse told us that if my husband was receiving Attendance Allowance he could apply for council tax reduction

2.A relative of my husband said that he did not need to be receiving AA and that just having a diagnosis of dementia was enough for him to apply for reduction
and finally

3. A friend said that all my husband had to do was put in a claim for AA and just claiming meant he could apply for a reduction even before approval of the claim

They cannot all be right, so please you help me in understanding if and when council tax reduction applies

Thank you

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
Please could someone help me with the confusion I have over this matter. My husband has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's dementia and we have written confirmation of this and how it affects him etc..
As far as council tax reduction is concerned, we have been given 3 different pieces of advice:

1. A nurse told us that if my husband was receiving Attendance Allowance he could apply for council tax reduction

2.A relative of my husband said that he did not need to be receiving AA and that just having a diagnosis of dementia was enough for him to apply for reduction
and finally

3. A friend said that all my husband had to do was put in a claim for AA and just claiming meant he could apply for a reduction even before approval of the claim

They cannot all be right, so please you help me in understanding if and when council tax reduction applies

Thank you
2. is correct

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mel@2024