Could my father have dementia?

LovelyLola

Apr 23, 2022
Hello. I am new here ? I adore my Dad but we have been estranged on and off for 7 years due to him supporting my abusive ex husband when we divorced. I have tried to re establish a relationship to no avail and we last spoke 18 months ago. However I am very close to one of my uncles.

I occasionally ask about my Dad and the other day had a strange feeling something was wrong with him that was being kept from me and it turns out this was true. My Dad is apparently "wandering" - I am unsure if this was meant physically or mentally and is just not behaving like his usual self. He doesn't seem to be concentrating whilst driving and actually ran into the back of my Stepmother's car. He pressed the accelerator instead of the brake but he's always been a very careful driver. Every Christmas he chooses a special gift for a friend who lives far away and visits but apparently this year he made no mention of it. He runs a shooting group but my other uncle (who regularly talks to the uncle I'm close to) says it's like he's lost the ability to organise the members - almost as if he's physically but not mentally present. He has done noticeably odd things like stand in a field for 10 minutes staring into space and then just get back in his car.

My Dad has had a lifelong, close relationship with my other uncle but has pretty much stopped all communication with him. Other family members are now apparently commenting my Dad doesn't seem right and this has been going on for at least 6 months.

I am shocked because my Dad has always been extremely active and sharp as a tack. He is 75 but was still working last time we spoke. My Grandad developed some kind of dementia at around 80 and went downhill fast. His Father was sectioned due to dementia but he was in his nineties but there does seem to be a genetic link.

I would be interested if what I'm describing fits with signs of dementia? I have no idea if he has been to the doctor's. He's always been very proactive re his health. Even though he's getting on in years I find myself feeling shocked and upset for him which o guess is everyone's reaction on here the their loved one.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
It could be many things. He may be depressed, could be another medical issue, nutritional deficiency. It could be dementia, it may just be a normal aging process.

LovelyLola

Apr 23, 2022
It could be many things. He may be depressed, could be another medical issue, nutritional deficiency. It could be dementia, it may just be a normal aging process.
Thank you. He's behaving oddly enough and out of character that I don't think it's a normal part of aging. Both his parents developed dementia which is what is worrying me.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
What you describe could have other causes but... What stands out to me is that several other people have noticed and commented/shown concern - it's unlikely they are all wrong. And when others start to notice there are probably lots of other things going on at home (i.e. when no one is there) that could be worse!

Can you get your uncle to do some investigating, via your other uncle, so that you all have a clearer picture? It would be good to find out if he has seen a doctor. If it is dementia, then he will probably need help (carers) at some point so discuss with your uncle what you'll be able to do going forwards. Between you, you need to establish what his finances are, to determine whether he will be a self-funder or SS funded. It's also important to get Power of Attorney in place - perhaps the uncle who is closer to him could set that up, or your step-mum? (Though it would be useful for you to be an attorney too.)

Then, it's about getting him diagnosed which can be tricky! You haven't mentioned what your relationship is like with your step-mum so I'm guessing you haven't discussed any of this with her. Again you will probably have to involve the uncles as go-betweens...