Convulsions and Vascular Dementia

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
We went to the neurologist yesterday and was told that the convulsions MIL has had is 'normal' with vas Dementia. Is that normal?? She was offered Keppra not for her but because of the distress it could cause her but she doesn't want it as there is nothing wrong with her??? and the family don't want her to have any. Also I am not sure she would appreciate no alcohol allowed when on it

Oh dear what so we do? Honour her view?

juniepoonie

Jun 11, 2013
essex
so what do the family want? have they seen her having fits. surely you could say that they are vitamin tablets or something else that she would take. ive seen my BIL have the fits an he has cut his head open an all sorts. one time the air ambulance was called by paramedics as his oxygen levels were very low. since being on meds has had no more fits. also with every fit the dementia seem to progress. good luck juniepoonie

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
This sounds awful but I think the family feel this is a natural progression of the dementia. MIL had a convulsion in front of me and hubby. Yes I was upset as it is the first time I have seen her have one. But normally they don't upset me as I am used to them. I am sure the GP will insist she goes on something

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
The other thing I wanted to say her is she is extremely unhappy as she obviously wants her old life back. I ask her if she feels depressed and she says no but I wonder because she will always says she feels very well as she thinks it will help her get home. GP this afternoon don't know if to ask if she can have any antidepressants but of course she will deny any problems

juniepoonie

Jun 11, 2013
essex
its not nice is it! bloody illness. I do hope you get something sorted soon. I understand its hard when you have many people making the decisions though. take care juniepoonie.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Thank you, I will discuss with the GP. MIL's looks so..............angry when I tell the truth..........she hates me............:eek:

Mamsgirl

Jun 2, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
1954, can you describe your Mil's seizures? My mum has VaD and after reading through your thread yesterday noticed she had a zoned out spell she described as "dizziness that goes quickly" :eek:

Mamsgirl

Jun 2, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Sorry, hit post too soon.
You're the main carer so I think you've at least as much right to comment on the treatment option as any other family. If a drop of wine is a source of pleasure to someone who's struggling so much, (and sharing the struggle) with dementia, I'd be keen to look for options that don't take away this last scrap of comfort. For both your sake :)
Toni x

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
The convulsions continue despite the medications......she has had 3 seizures in 3 days!

Thankfully she goes into respite tomorrow for 2 weeks....

1954 x

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
The convulsions continue despite the medications......she has had 3 seizures in 3 days!

Thankfully she goes into respite tomorrow for 2 weeks....

1954 x

Hello. Seizures typically show up with Alzheimer's patients - at least that is what I was told when my mother, who was having seizures, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's after many, many tests run on her including scans of her brain and a sleep test.

Keppra *stopped* the seizures immediately. My mother's on a drug for high blood pressure, one for stroke (Plavix), one for seizures (Keppra), and one for her Alzheimer's (Exelon - the capsule, not the patch). *All* of her issues improved with these medications. Her main diagnosis is Alzheimer's, but she has mixed dementia, because she has had strokes before.

I'd ask the physician again. I believe strokes are associated with vascular dementia (my father died of this) and seizures with Alzheimer's. Perhaps different meds might help her. I want to say, too, that I wouldn't encourage the denial. These meds have helped my mother in so many ways. She was very sick before. She has lived for 7 years *because of* the meds, in my estimation.

This is a heartrending disease. I wish you and your family the best as you get this sorted.

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
Also, about talking about my mother's Alzheimer's in front of her, when we would visit the doctor, I'd adopt a sort of breezy expression,

"O, you'll remember, Dr. XXX, that we have Alzheimer's, so we are here today to talk about our concerns about a, b, and c." I smiled when I said it and included myself in the discussion.

Also, I made up a sheet listing my concens and her present state that was given to the physician, and he read it, before we saw him. This is a way *not* to talk about some of the details in front of her. It worked for me.

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
Yikes I had no idea that seizures were a possible development with Vas D. None of Mum's doctors have ever told us this. Something else to look forward to huh? :(

1954 I'd echo what the others say: if you are the main carer and you can see that MIL's seizures cause her distress then I'd tell the family to go do what comes naturally to themselves ahem....

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
As far as I can gather, any disease that messes up the brain can cause fits/seizures. As always, everyone is different but it does appear that they are quite common with dementia, whatever the precise diagnosis.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Well I am glad I read this thread. Nobody has ever mentioned the possibility of seizures to me in the four years since my husband was diagnosed with early onset dementia.

I have now refreshed my memory on how to deal with seizures just in case.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
No further seizures today thankfully!

Someone asked what happens.........she starts yawning manically, she wants to lay down (but invariably we are not at home). She goes deathly white. She is always sitting as she hardly ever gets up to walk unless to bed/loo etc. Then she she goes unconscious/unresponsive, lips and tongue go blue, breathing sounds like the 'death rattle'. She can not even hold her head up and body just 'flops' limply. Eyes either wide open staring or sometimes closed

She comes round between 4-10 minutes and is mega confused. She is then disparate to lay down and sleeps for 24hrs+

She doesn't jerk since she has been on keppra

Sounds rather awful as I am writing this!!

1954 x

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
No further seizures today thankfully!

Someone asked what happens.........she starts yawning manically, she wants to lay down (but invariably we are not at home). She goes deathly white. She is always sitting as she hardly ever gets up to walk unless to bed/loo etc. Then she she goes unconscious/unresponsive, lips and tongue go blue, breathing sounds like the 'death rattle'. She can not even hold her head up and body just 'flops' limply. Eyes either wide open staring or sometimes closed

She comes round between 4-10 minutes and is mega confused. She is then disparate to lay down and sleeps for 24hrs+

She doesn't jerk since she has been on keppra

Sounds rather awful as I am writing this!!

1954 x

Have you described these symptoms to the GP? This sounds like a bout of low blood pressure (the whiteness, bluishness, low breathing) or else perhaps a blood sugar reaction to me.

I'm not a medical doctor, but I'd be seeking more tests on her blood . . . .

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Her blood sugar is fine but her B/P goes down. When an ambulance has been called they always need to stabilise her low B/P.

She has come off nearly all her hypertensive medications as her blood pressure has improved with age!

1954 x