Contributions from estate for buying a car

seanpk

Jun 24, 2021
Our car is nearly 20 years old and on it's last legs so is likely to need replacing soon, the car (Golf Estate) is currently mainly used to transport the FIL for trips out with his mobility scooter.

We both work from home or use bikes as our main transport so at this time would normally look to downgrade to something much smaller but can't because of the above.

Would we need to seek permission to take a contribution from the FILs funds towards a larger car to accommodate his transport? - we have Financial POA.

Cheers, Sean

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @seanpk

I suspect this is a bit of a grey area. To my mind it seems reasonable for your dad to contribute if you need to spend more to get a larger car to accommodate his needs. He could certainly contribute to the running costs which might be a safer route to take.

seanpk

Jun 24, 2021
We already charge him for fuel, but the purchase prices I'm looking at are £1500-2000 difference for what we'd need compared to what he needs

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
We already charge him for fuel, but the purchase prices I'm looking at are £1500-2000 difference for what we'd need compared to what he needs

Probably more for insurance too. Personally I’d just go ahead especially if you’re expecting your FIL to be cared for by you for some time to come. If he’s in a carehome or soon likely to need one it may be more difficult to argue the case, but then again it would add to his quality of life if you could take him out from the carehome.

If your FIL has plenty of money it’s unlikely to be a problem but the LA could consider it deprivation of assets. I believe PWD are still allowed to pay for holidays for themselves and day trips are mini holidays and the car is the means to provide them. However this is just my opinion. I’d be tempted to buy the bigger car and try to keep the extra money aside (if possible) in case of a challenge.

If you’re really worried ring up the Office of Public Guardian and ask their opinion.