Continuing Healthcare Assessment Tomorrow

la59

Jan 26, 2012
Hello,

I am new to this forum (in fact I have never written to any web forum before!) but I have already learnt a huge amount of useful information. Thanks to everyone who has posted comments and advice - I thought I was alone but there is clearly lots of support out there. My Mum's CH assessment is tomorrow afternoon and I will be there as probably the only person in the room who has previously met her - how can that be right?? I was wondering if there is a standard scoring mechanism? Those of you who have posted refer to normal/low/high/severe or moderate/high/severe. My Mum's Initial Review Checklist shows A/B/C. I am confused about the differences in the 4 point scale and the three point scale and the alpha scale.

Does anyone know how many A/Severe scores Mum needs to become eligible for CH payments?

Is there anywhere I can get a copy of the decision support tool that will be used?

Does anyone have any tips on how I can stop myself crying during the meeting - I find listing al the things my Mum can't do so distressing that I lose control!!

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

la59

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello La:
If you google NHS Continuing Care Checklist you will find a link from which you can download the checklist. You can also do this for the National Framework and the Decision Making Tool.

If all this is happening tomorrow I think its a bit complicated to read everything today. See how things go and maybe then it will be worth you reading through the National Framework. It will give you an idea of what is required.

If you feel you are going to breakdown as you are so upset, it may be worth taking someone else along with you (this should be allowed as long as you inform in advance).

Let us know how you get along and if you need to Appeal then we may be able to guide you. (I hope that is not necessary).

Last edited:

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
Hello La and welcome to TP. I've just got in and just seen your post. Mum was awarded CHC when she was still at home a few months back, but sadly is now in care.

As I recall, the initial checklist has the same domains but rated as A B C and then the decision is made whether to do a full assessment, and will be done using the same domains.

When they come to doing the decision support tool then some domains will go up to priority (?), some only go to high, for example. My mum only got one severe, but she also had 3 high and 6 moderate.

Key points? Well, a well-managed need is still definitely a need. And if the condition varies, tell it how it is on a bad day. Also, risk. Mum's skin is good, for example, but she is at great risk as bed bound and only a little thing.

Hope all goes well for you tomorrow.
Mary

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janet1980