Continuing Care

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Áine said:
If they'd not been able to follow any suggestions I'd made, I'd assume that it was my failure to understand the difficulties, not the patient's failure in following the suggestions though ;)

Hi Áine

I don't think that's necessarily the case either. I don't think there's any failure here, it's the nature of the beast!

As you know, lethargy is one of the symptoms of depression. You know what you should do, you know what you want to do, but maybe tomorrow........

I call it my downward spiral.......isolation..........depression........lethargy..........isolation........

That's why it often needs repeat courses of counselling to reverse the spiral.

Áine, you're doing such a valuable job. And Ellie, go for it girl, and keep in touch.

Love,

EllieS

Aug 23, 2005
SOMERSET
Hello Everyone

Thank you for your support - I went to see my GP last week to ask if I could see the Counsellor again. He tried very hard to get me to go on some antidepressants - I told him I was very reluctant to do this; he asked why; I told him I felt I had good reason to be depressed and that I'd prefer to get my head around those reasons; I like and respect him and listened to his rationale which did make sense but explained again my thoughts about how these medications mess with the brain and he agreed to let me have some more counselling sessions.

I'm so so glad I stood my ground. I'm waiting for appointment now but have felt quite a lot better since thrashing it out with him!

I've started to go swimming once a week (at lunchtimes) with my son's girlfriend and I think this has helped too.

I've seen Mum more often but not for such long periods as I'd like - just pop in on way to work - sometimes she's still in bed, wake her gently give her a hug, tell her I love her and not to wake up properly 'cos I've to go to work - she says thank you and tells me she loves me too! It hurts to think of her being so sad all day and night, but one of the things I've done for the continuing care battle (prompted by the Solicitor) was to get an independent Consultant Adult Psychiatrist Report.

His report states that when I introduced him to Mum and then left the room he asked Mum my name and she couldn't remember it but said that she knew me well. She did not remember that 2 minutes previously I'd been with her!

Of course, I knew her memory was very bad indeed but it never occurred to me that she wouldn't be able to recollect my name! I'm not really shocked or hurt because it doesn't really matter to me - all that matters is that when I see her she knows how much I love her and that we're able to communicate or just sit quietly together. It's so terribly sad and just not how we expect to see our parents in their latter years is it!

I will keep in touch and do hope you're all managing to keep your heads above water.

If, or maybe when I win this d---ed continuing care case I promise I will give whatever advice I can to EACH and EVERYONE of you caring people. Money is not the important thing but we shouldn't undervalue what our parents strove for either!

Mind you, this weekend is a big one, I need to analyse all the paperwork (reams of it) to decide whether to get a barristers opinion on going to the Ombudsman. Trouble is my Solicitor doesn't keep on top of things and goes off on legal waffles instead of sticking to the simple facts. Gosh I don't know - but will let you know how I go.

Very Very best wishes to you all - keep smiling.

I hear the world's going to end in 2012 anyway!!!!

Luv
Ellie
xx

EllieS

Aug 23, 2005
SOMERSET
Wrong......

It's not being able to sleep for worrying and listening to Talk Sport on and off through the night that gives me alternative thoughts!

Gotta laugh eh!

Never know though there may be something in it - we don't know very much in the grand scheme of things do we?

Ellie
x

suzi

Jan 15, 2007
Hampshire
Be Strong

Dear Ellies.
I could duplicate everything you say, three years ago Dad died, a sister who just walked away saying she could not cope, a Mother's house to empty re decorate and sell, and I had to apply to the Court for receivership as well. I can only sympathise, there is light at the end of the tunnel, it takes time, and I still have guilt at selling Mum's house, her love, while she is still alive, without her knowing. I hope she never knows how much I hate having to place her in a nursing home, although they are brilliant with her, how hard it is to visit every week and not see my "MUM" just a very frustrated ill lady.
,Just take your time, don't let Social Service bully you to hurry things along, without making what you think are the right decsions, its all too easy,
Good luck and lots of hugs, Jo

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey