Contact mum

sep24

May 3, 2018
Hi
I'm new to talking point. My mum has dementia and at the moment is living at home alone with carers visiting twice a day. She has just started the wander stage saying things like "not her house got to go home" . She has also stopped answering the phone. Is there anything out there like intercom or walkie talkie that we can call her on without her having to answer? Is there a cordless phone that can tell you who's calling?

Last edited:

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Hello, welcome to Talking Point. You will find the members supportive and they also have a wealth of knowledge! I know that one member has a camera fixed to the front door, so that wherever she is, she can see who is at her mum’s door (she uses her smart phone). Does your mum have internet? Because if you both have an Echo (.other devices are available!) then you can call and she just has to answer without touching anything. They also do a machine with a screen now, so she can see you calling.
I am sure others will have ideas, and be much more tech savvy than I am! Have a browse around, and feel free to comment in any of the threads. You might find it helpful to eventually start your own thread, then any responses you get to queries, or if you just want to have a rant, everything will be in one place.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @sep24
and a warm welcome to TP
you've reached a worrying time if your mum is leaving the house unaccompanied and confused
you mention that your mum has home care visits, so I'm guessing that you have been in contact with her Local Authority Adult Services - it's worth getting in touch with them again and asking about the installation of a carephone system linked to door alerts and an alarm pendant, and also a tracker (my dad used to wear one as a watch) - there are systems available to buy, but I found it useful to go through Adult Services so they maintained the system
you might also ask about upping the number of visits so someone is supporting her and checking on her more often
I wonder how your mum would react to your voice unexpectedly speaking to her when you aren't in the house, especially as some folk with a diagnosis do have hallucinations which make them anxious - only you know whether this would be something she can cope with - though the carephone system works by an operator calling the person if an alarm is triggered and talking to them to help them, whilst also contacting the family so they might visit to see that all is well - the system did work very well for my dad, and he responded to the voice over the phone, until one night when he just took off in the night, which was my signal to look into a move to a care home

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris123