Constipated!

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Had mum at the Dr's for her 3rd emergency appointment since last Friday, and it seems she is constipated big time. All the blood tests she has had have come back within normal parameters, you would think one of the Dr's would have palpated her stomach when she saw them, but no. I had to stop giving her Laxido as she was on antibiotics as giving both would over stimulate the gut and she would have had diahorrea which is not what either of us want. So mum will be in pain for a few days whilst 'it' works its way through her system, but try explaining that to someone with Alzheimer's who understands one minute but will forget the next, if I could wave a magic wand and stop her being in pain I would but alas I can't.

fullmoon

May 22, 2013
When cognitive reasoning has gone it is so difficult. You know you are doing your best to help and keep her comfy. Maybe a hot water bottle will aid her cramps and soothe her?

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Hi Carabosse,

This is very stressful for you and your Mum. Three emergency visits! I only have to bring Mum for her usual check up and I feel I have been through the mill!

I know you have started your mother on coconut oil recently and have no idea what dose you are up to yet.... Mum used to be 'constipated by nature' if you know what I mean, a lifelong tendency, and she always ate muesli and tons of fruit and veg to help mitigate it. However, the coconut oil seems to have done the trick for Mum. She used to fret like mad if stools were any way firm, fears that it would get worse etc. Thankfully since we started the CO all constipation has gone - it just isn't an issue for her any more. Sadly she no longer has the memory capacity to realise what a relief that is for her.

And as you mention palpating her abdomen, would it be wrong to suggest that you give her a decent full tummy massage twice a day? Just to get those peristaltic movements kicking in again?

Thinking of you both, BE

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Carabosse

My OH is constantly constipated-it must be horrible for him.The only thing that stops the faeces impaction (and the possible infection) is magnesium hydroxide 3 x 5ml spoons per day.

You have my sympathy in dealing with this -it's terrible to know that your loved one is in pain.The hot water bottle seems a good idea.

Take care Lyn T

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Thanks... mum was doing fine with the Laxido but with a chest infection and antibiotics could have been much worse! I have given her 1 Laxido and will hopefully fit another 1 in before bed time.
The CO mum is taking is 1-2 desert spoonfuls after breakfast and same at tea time. I could palpate her stomach I will see how bad the pain is with her trying to pass what is compacted.
Might try the hot water bottle, again it will depend on how she gets on with the pain.
I will keep the magnesium hydroxide in mind, but will continue with the Laxido for now, could always use dynamite if the worst comes to the worst.... joke :)

Lizjg

Dec 29, 2011
Near Newark / Grantam
Hi, does CO really help with constipation as my mum suffers from it. I presume I can get it from a health food shop, but how do you know how much to give?
Thanks
Liz

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Could you also give your mum some dried apricots and prunes to chew on? My mum liked these because of the sweetness. She swore they weren't working then I heard her shouting and asking if I could bring her ciggies and the paper in because she might be there awhile! LOL

MERENAME

Jun 4, 2013
scotland
Tescos sell the right kind of coconut oil a lot cheaper than the health food shops do
ktc 100% coconut oil 500ml for £2.25

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Mum doesn't go much for fruit now, although I do try and slip some in somewhere, her dentures don't fit as well as I would like so I doubt the apricots would work.
As for the CO and constipation, mum hasn't been taking it that long to know if it would work in that department.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Got to feel sorry for mum just now, she is up and down to the toilet every few minutes as she feels the need to go, I try and tell mum she has been in situations like this when she was younger (as have we all) and that the pain/ constipation will pass soon but somehow I don't think she believes me!

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
What about old-fashioned prune juice? I know they have used it in my mother's nursing home. I wouldn't give a lot at first - maybe just an ounce. There are also those fibre additives such as Metamucil, which can be stirred into a drink.

These are more long-term control possibilities. For the immediate situation, Carabosse, is it not possible for a nurse or someone to give your mother an enema? I think it would relieve her.

An enema may be too much - what about a laxative suppository?

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
The constipation is further up so an enema wouldn't work only move it somewhere else, I started her back on the Laxido as she has finished the antibiotics, she has defecated today but not much but it is shifting.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
With severe constipation the whole system slows down and the muscles along the digestive tract aren't working properly. Don't rule out the option for her to have an enema. It would clear out some of her system and remove toxins from her body that would otherwise be reabsorbed. The normal muscular contractions may start up as a result and move things along as they are supposed to.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
OMG mum just came downstairs from the toilet with poo in a tissue, I asked why she had it and she had no idea, she said maybe its the good stuff.... what????

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
A new day and although mum slept during the night (getting up once to use the commode), it seems the pain from constipation is still there.
I now have to accompany mum to the bathroom as I got a second parcel of you know what, just to make sure she doesn't use her hands, must remember and let daycare know tomorrow she is constipated.
I thought I had some suppositories but must have got the chemist to dispose of them thinking I wouldn't be using them on mum again, oh how wrong can you get!
Had thought about calling NHS24 to see if a MedDoc would come out but that could be over 4 hrs away, I think i'll just keep on with the Laxido (x3 until she has a good motion)... anyone know the phone number for the MOD see if I can get some dynamite... sorry bad joke :)

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Would your Mum chew gum? Apparently it helps to get gut activity going. Makes sense as it triggers salivary action without a meal. It helps post bowel surgery to get the bowel working again. If it were me I'd prefer to chew gum than have a suppository;) Your poor Mum hope she feels better soon and you have one less worry.
Best wishes
Sue

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Thanks...If mums dentures weren't such a problem I would give it a try, but knowing mum she would try and swallow the stuff!
I don't have any suppositories so she won't be having any, just given her the 2nd of 3 sachets of Laxido so hopefully it will start kicking in soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Janyarl