Confused and end of life

DAH66

Oct 25, 2016
Herefordshire
My mum is almost at the stage of end of life (79 in December), I’m very confused! The last few months mum has been getting worse in her health and refusing everything the residential carers have offered mum food, medication and personal care too. Mum is a diabetic and should take metfmin and hasn’t taken her tablets for a very long time I think about 2/3 yrs if longer than that. Mum always says she wants to die and be with my dad in heaven (dad has been gone 19 yrs now) and this is how she feels all the time.
The doctor at the hospital where is has told me that mum is giving up by not eating or drinking, no medication and personal care. Mum has lost weight, very disoriented and delirium because of the dementia. And she does need nursing care not residential now. This is hard for me to accept as when I saw mum a month ago in the home mum was in her wheelchair and being quite abusive towards me, it’s harsh words but it’s all part of mums illness, and she was ok, I’m used to it, and I try not to take it to heart.But now mum is in hospital all alone, curled up, looks very poorly and definitely frail. The doctor phoned me and told me all this. I’m not sure how I actually feel…I have got a brother who is younger than me, and he doesnt live near us, he has got his own family now. All I like to do is sit by mum in her room, show her photos of family and my brother’s family but I can’t see her yet. Due to Covid in the hospital. I just wondered if there’s anything else I can do or think please?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
he last few months mum has been getting worse in her health and refusing everything the residential carers have offered mum food, medication and personal care too

Is this why your mum is in hospital @DAH66? Once deterioration sets in like this it is often a slippery slope.

My husband was diabetic and prescribed Metformin. From my recollection they are big tablets to swallow and my husband used to hide them in his pyjama pocket or throw them out of the toilet window well before he was poorly enough to be in residential care.

There does come a time with dementia when medication doesn't`t seem to be effective and it is discontinued. I know my husband was given whatever possible in liquid form but even then his body didn't`t process it properly.

However much I can see you want to do something to help your mother is hope you will soon be allowed visits so you can be with her.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp