Concerned about actions of the social worker

peteralun

Oct 18, 2016
Hi, I am new to this forum, I am looking for a bit of advise or opinions and guidance from you all. My mother has severe dementia. She is currently in an assessment centre. The doctor in charge has recommended 24 hour care and moving into a home, which I agree it is the best solution. However my Step Father disagrees. He has got on board a social worker who is listening to his side of the story only and she has decided that my Mother is able to go home and have just 3 hours of care per day.

The original reason she went to the assessment centre is become she had become violent and wondering off and walking the streets. My Step Father blames me for her going into the assessment centre and has now got this social worker on board and beliving he can cope, when he clearly can't cope.

The reason he can't cope is he isn't 100% him self, he has fits, has suffered a stroke and I believe he has a very mild form of dementia - he can't speak on the phone and you can't hold a conversation with him, as he talks over you and just doesn't acknowledge what you are saying. He solutions is putting a tracker on my Mother and locking her in the house! And somehow she is going to sleep when he sleeps!

What I need the advise and help with, is the social worker has said my Mother is going home and although the doctors (more than 1 doctor) has advised against. The social worker has turned around and said she has the final say.

I understand a home-care package hasn't been trialed previously but this is because my step Father refuses any help.

Is this correct? Does anyone have a similar experience? Is there anything i can do?

Thank you.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I guess home carers will have to be tried. That is what normally happens, especially when a person wont be self funding. That may well be why the social worker I insisting on it.
She possibly cant agree to funding a care home until home care has at least been trialled

it is very hard though.

Presumable you don't have POA for her?

Last edited:

jhoward

Aug 3, 2011
west sussex
What a horrible situation for you, and for your Mum too.

One thing you could do is put your 'legitimate concerns' in writing, in the most brief and matter-of-fact way that you can, not blaming anyone etc (so that you can't be described as "over-emotional" and all those disparaging things). You could send it to the doctor and perhaps to the manager of the assessment centre - anyone who has a part in the decisions about what happens to your mother.

I'm surprised that the social worker "has the final say" over and above the doctor and yourself. It might be worth finding out more about that side of things.

You''l be in my/our thoughts as you deal with this. So tough for you.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Become proactive.

Try and get a written discharge plan from the the assessment unit that she should be discharged into appropriate residential care.

Also approach your step father's GP who won't be able to discuss anything with you but should take note of your concerns. Query whether they consider that, given your step father's medical condition, he can provide a safe environment for your mother who has in the past become violent.

Present any information you obtain to the SW.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
I think you need to dig for more facts - you won't be able to put your case properly without them.

Who employs this Social Worker? And is she actually a qualified Social Worker or just an unqualified Social Work Assistant (in which case she's overseen by a qualified Social Worker who may be more helpful to you; also she doesn't have much official status within the organisation - which again could help you)?

The assessment centre will have a Social Worker (probably) who oversees discharge issues - does this lady work there? If not, what does the assessment centre's Social Worker agree with the proposed action?

The doctor in charge of the assessment centre has recommended 24 hour care and moving into a home. Does he / she know that the (alleged) Social Worker wishes to dispose of his / her patient otherwise? When there is a dispute about what happens to a patient there has to be a Best Interests meeting at which all relevant parties are represented. The doctors and mental health nurses would be part of such a meeting.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Would your mum be self-funding or would she be funded by the LA?
If she would be funded by the LA they make you go through several hoops - one of them is that the PWD should have been tried with carers 3x a day (and it not have been sufficient) before they will agree to a CH. Also, her husband has said that he wants her home, so I can see why this decision has been made - however obvious it is that it wont work :(

I think that it is unlikely that you could change the outcome, but definitely watch things very closely and sending a letter of your concerns to the SW and copied to her GP, would be a very good idea. Make it very plain that she is a vulnerable person who is likely to be at risk due to her husbands medical condition. Dont be emotional, just stick to the facts.

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
It's the route of SS these days, try home first with care package .
My dads been in hospital since 1 Aug with poss uti, a dst meeting said he should go home with a care package, he was aggressive and on a variety of calming tabs and anti-psychotics anyway. We refused him home , we didn't have SS involved at the time but they became involved in hospital . He was then moved to a sm cottage hospital , a financial assessment, carers assessment, then capacity assessment done by SW who I almost strangled asking dad if he 'wanted to go home' ..when dad gives yes no answers to anything, eventually then a best interests meeting was held and the staff and her superior agreed dad needed a care home placement of res/emi not to be sent home with a package.
They will try their hardest to send them home, refuse , just keep refusing. If SS have to be involved they will have to find a solution but do not accept home if that's what you don't want.
My dads still in sm hospital awaiting care home place.
Good luck