Computer Help

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
In all the years I have used a computer I have had the help of a spell checker that has become invaluable
recently the programme has been replaced and it is now useless and often does not relate to the word I have used
AS far as I am aware ( even by accident} have changed nothing
In addition staring at the same time as the spell checker change I now get red dotted lines appearing under all words that I type
But they do not show under, for example, on any messages sent
jimbo

Ps I have W10

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Which program are you having an issue with and what version?
K

Hello Kevin
thank you for your response
I am a bit of a 'nonce' on computes , although I have been using them for 20+years
To answer (I hope ) your question
I use I E 11 with BT
Some while ago I lost my internet connections for e-mails
The computer 'expert 'who was supposed to fix it put in a programme called eM Client
an it seemed quite successful , but he failed to get the BT emails back on
To cut a long story short I was reasonably happy with the alternative
{ BT emails suddenly reappeared ( don't know why or how }

Last night I discovered that the problem I referred to only happens on the eM Client
and I seem to get everything OK when sending emails BT and responding to Talking
Point for example
So in future I will use the IE BT programme
Thanks again for your response
jimbo

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You seem to have found a solution so stick with it!!!

However

IE in itself cannot handle emails, you have to have a client installed and tell IE to use that as default.

A client is something that can handle emails from various sources.

In your case I think you only have one source - BT

If you are not using eM Client you are probably using a Microsoft one, difficult to name as there are several out there that work on various systems.

As I said stick with what you are doing - 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' rather than 'if it ain't broke, fix it till it is'

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Don't think he wants to read emails webwise, it's a different experience to using a client.

Personally I consider BT/Yahoo is best avoided.

My general advice, unless you have your own domain, is to use gmail to get rid of any ISP involvement (think change of ISP) and then use Thunderbird as a client

Last edited:

Oh Knickers

Nov 19, 2016
For spellcheck, I have installed a free program call Grammarly. It checks my spellings in email, Word and here.

Hope that helps.

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Thank you for your suggestions
and I will keep 'Grammarly 'in mind
but I think that for the time being I'll take gringo's advice and
" stick with what you are doing - 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' rather than 'if it ain't broke, fix it till it is'
jimbo