Compulsive buying strategy

Boromir

Jan 25, 2018
Might also be worth looking into whether such selling over the phone constitutes financial exploitation. In the worst case of course, a person may be declared to not have capacity and thus someone running a guardianship or full welfare POA takes over entirely, even if the account remains in the affected person's name.

My step-Dad spent hundreds on wine he didn't need; I think he just enjoyed the company, ie. the visits by the wine seller rep, and the chats over the phone when they'd call with more offers. A POA wasn't in place yet at the time so I couldn't do much, but interestingly the wine buying was halted when a new delivery turned up while a lady from social services was visiting (someone who takes him to daycare twice a week), she firmly told the company to stop it, or else (the penalties for financial exploitation of the elderly are severe). A POA is in place now, so no more wine purchased, but there's a mountain of bottles in the garage I need to sell off. When my Mum was still alive, she and my step-Dad used to love their wine, though that was many years ago, but like so many things such regular purchases don't get reigned in or shut down when they no longer make sense. My Mum, for her part, became a tad obsessed with buying things from catalogue companies before she had to move to a care home (mainly clothes, but sometimes household items like pots & pans aswell); thankfully many of them could be returned, but there are dozens of unused items I need to deal with (I plan on listing them on the local community for-sale Facebook group over the summer). Catalogue companies vary in how willing they are to help with such issues.

I talked to one care visitor who said she'd seen something similar, clearing out a house after an elderly lady had passed away, there were hundreds of unopened wine bottles everywhere (cupboards, behind curtains, under stairs); her late husband's passion, she'd just kept it going more as a reminder of him.

This can all be frustrating of course because at the same time one is often having to cope with major care costs such as house modifications, care visitors, mobility accessories, cleaning, etc. If things do get bad though, talk to social services, solicitor, GP, the bank, etc., look into POA/Guardianship setups. Indeed, it's best to get these arrangements in place sooner rather than later, as it becomes complicated, costly and stressful if left until after such things suddenly become essential. Also worth looking into whether the person has a proper Will in place; I was amazed to discover my Mum didn't (she and my step-Dad had prepared drafts via a solicitor, but never finalised them, so that was a priority that had to be dealt with alongside sorting out a POA). Without looking into these issues beforehand, one can find an exponential pile of information that has to be absorbed in all too short a time when things take a turn for the worse.

Certainly a complicated problem re does one try to prevent purchases in high street shops, at the risk of making a scene. Might be an idea to ask to speak to the store manager separately, explain the situation, see if they can help re making sure items can be returned (presumably as long as you have the receipts).

Ian.

Debs189

Jan 26, 2016
Some really helpful tips here.... my mum keeps buying doughnuts! Always with the same delighted statement “look, only 50p for five!”. I used to spend ages trying to avoid the doughnut stand, and if not successful endlessly explaining that she had loads at home, only to be met with a sulky tantrum. So now I simply wait til she loads the trolley and then take them back out surreptitiously, leaving them wherever I can. So if you visit a supermarket and are finding doughnuts everywhere... it’s me!

john1939

Sep 21, 2017
Newtownabbey
Hello,I have found a few ground rules for my particular situation. Keep away from stores selling the items that your PWD likes. Allow some purchases of cheap items while getting the till receipts and then returning them when possible.if you must visit these places. Never ever ask if they need these items as that is a trigger point for meltdown. Make sure that the staff are aware of the PWD illness, this avoids problems such as attempted shoplifting. A small amount of cash needs to be in possession as they will still try to buy items with anything in the purse or wallet.l have found that a local motorway service area is ideal for coffee and cake as it sells only food items of which my wife has no interest. Regards.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Hello. I am doing my best to devise a plan to deal with compulsive buying.My wife has a compulsion for plastic food boxes and scissors. The last count was 37 pair of scissors.
I normally let her buy these things just to keep the peace, and of course our kitchen cupboards are stuffed with food boxes and other items.
The garage is rapidly filling too so it wont be long before that is full too.
Today while having coffee in a large store she arrived at the checkout with several plastic measuring jugs and more food boxes.
She emptied her purse out on the counter but had not enough to pay for them. I asked her did she really need them as we had plenty at home.
A terrific outburst then ensued with her calling me all the expletives in the book and then some . A massive scene, so bad that waiting customers moved away to other checkouts. Soon she was so angry that I was afraid that she would take a stroke or worse. I hastily paid for the goods and left the shop.
We arrived home eventually and as I locked the car she asked if we had bought anything. I said no, nothing.
She had forgotten all about the plastic boxes. I have the till receipt and will return them tomorrow.
The moral, I think is to avoid a confrontation at all costs but just return the goods when the opportunity occurs.

Finally, just discovered that she had been hiding her medication under the bed mattress!!
My OH buys every kitchen/bathroom cleaner she can get her hands and avoiding shops that sell them is all but impossible. Mind you the neighbours and family often are delighted to take some off my hands.

JustJane

Oct 14, 2015
Thank you for your posts. It helped and reassured me.

I, too, have a parent that is an obsessive purchaser. It took me a little while to realise the 'condition'. I particularly relate to the thread about IT Equipment. That period was expensive - and the contracts entered into.

I regularly remove magazines to help prevent visual impulse buying, electric power tools, bottles of alcohol. I can't so easily prevent father throwing food away because he doesnt like it that day/thinks it will harm him. At the moment I am working on reducing the amount of cash he thinks he needs in his pocket and the number of taxi journeys he makes to get a loaf of bread. Avoidance tactics work well: it's in the post, sold out, or don't buy that as there's a recall or something.

Obsessions are replaced by new ones. I learned not to give my own precious things to satisfy their craving, e.g. a boxed calligraphy set, to discover it was broken up and hurled in the bin. That was before I realised the obsessive purchasing condition.

A limitless supply of novels to read helps keep him away from shops and provides enjoyment.

The obsession of send cat greetings cards to each other works well though. It's always nice to receive a note in the post - and it's much cheaper than purchasing other goods. I am, of course, now party to that obsession! But it brings connection, effort and application, tangible outcome, memory trigger.

I wonder how many more obsessions will be encountered. And is my lifetime gardening hobby an obsession in some part - but a controlled one!

john1939

Sep 21, 2017
Newtownabbey
Some really helpful tips here.... my mum keeps buying doughnuts! Always with the same delighted statement “look, only 50p for five!”. I used to spend ages trying to avoid the doughnut stand, and if not successful endlessly explaining that she had loads at home, only to be met with a sulky tantrum. So now I simply wait til she loads the trolley and then take them back out surreptitiously, leaving them wherever I can. So if you visit a supermarket and are finding doughnuts everywhere... it’s me!
Hello, proceed with caution. Heaven help you if you are caught putting things back, I can speak with experience here.
My wife found out that I was putting things back so she worked out a strategy to defeat this. She would go off on her own and wait until I had checked out all the items. She would then dash out of hiding clutching her prizes and plonk them on the checkout saying " I want these dear, you wont mind paying for them" What could you do except pay up otherwise a meltdown.