Clothes in a Care Home...

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
My husband's care home has shrunk most of his warm woollen jumpers and a nice cosy cardigan. And he's having trouble now with the fastenings of his trousers.

Track suits are the obvious answer, but he's used to being smartly dressed. He also feels the cold. A friend has mentioned fleece tops to replace the woollen things, as they wash well and don't shrink.

I'm finding it difficult to source these things. Any suggestions would be welcome....I know we mustn't advertise on here, but pointers would help, or a private message.

I don't suppose I'm the only one with this problem...

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
Hi Anne

I am going through the exact same thing now with my dad, I got my dad a really nice dark blue zip up fleece in a clarks shoe shop and also a zip up gillet again from Clarks shoe shop, they were regatta fleeces, very thick and warm and don't shrink.

I have just also got his first set of tracksuit bottoms, plain black, no logos & with pockets, I ordered these from Marks and Spencers online as you can select the waist size and leg length. I got them yesterday and they are pretty smart. My dad is the same always smartly dressed with trousers and shirts, so I am slowly going to whip his trousers away and leave him with just tracksuit bottoms once I get another 2 pairs this week.

Someone else also advised trousers with elasticated waistbands, which you can find on the web.

Good luck
Angie

disi

Aug 4, 2014
Ex pat living in Sweden
My husband's care home has shrunk most of his warm woollen jumpers and a nice cosy cardigan. And he's having trouble now with the fastenings of his trousers.

Track suits are the obvious answer, but he's used to being smartly dressed. He also feels the cold. A friend has mentioned fleece tops to replace the woollen things, as they wash well and don't shrink.

I'm finding it difficult to source these things. Any suggestions would be welcome....I know we mustn't advertise on here, but pointers would help, or a private message.

I don't suppose I'm the only one with this problem...

Hi Anne, I'm having the same problems with Robert's CH. All his trousers shrunk and he couldn't get them done up. Unfortunately I had to buy track suit bottoms and he also has fleece tops and at the moment all seems to be well. Of course I don't really like him looking not tidy. He still wears shirts when they remember to put one on him. Of course I can't help with different makes as I'm not in the UK. But I went to a sports shop to buy the trousers, and indeed mens shops here sell them as well.

P.S. I did buy a size bigger as they the CH have managed to shrink the trousers. Good luck.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
I do all Ed's washing, they once put a suit in the washing machine it shrunk, l have bought washable trousers, he has never worn track suits, l know he would be upset if l put him in them. He no longer wares jackets as he spills his drinks and food, he is quite happy in his shirts and jumpers, as l have done his washing for 52years, l still like to do it. Makes me feel good.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
As Dad moves into incontinence determined to maintain dads smart look for him....even casually at home would never have worn joggers or jeans...I have bought some lovely smart fully eradicated cords and smart trousers which have been complemented on by staff and wash well in laundry. More expensive but good quality so should last. A few carers didn't seem to see my point that just because he isn't able to choose what to wear that shouldn't change what he would normally wear pre dementia unless for a practical reason hence moving to fully ellasticated as he wears pull up incontinence pants. He was wearing smart trousers with fly until a couple of months ago. He wears shirt and tie although now needs help with his tie the staff always dress him smartly with what I provide....why wouldn't they it is all about maintaining identity, self esteem and dignity for as long as possible. I don't buy anything with wool the laundry washing machines have to deal all sorts on residents clothes so relatives are advised not to provide anything delicate if the nursing home is to wash. However although dad can sometimes do his buttons the staff help so I have bought some different coloured soft feel mens cardigans which finish off the smart look perfectly. Trousers...Abletowear or Adaptawear

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I bought M&S track suit bottoms, plain with no LOGO and they were cheap enough to replace frequently as they faded from too hot a wash.

The fleeces were a different matter. It was really hard to find proper fleeces, they all seemed to be acrylic, but they had to do. I bought acrylic jumpers too and was OK about them because the home was so warm Dhiren didn`t really need wool.

When his arms became more rigid and made shirts difficult to put on and get off I bought stretchy polo neck [ roll neck] shirts.

It was easy , but sad also when the time came he wasn’t really aware what he was wearing.

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Must admit dad doesn't know now what he is wearing, just when too warm , too cold.
We find tshirts work best with jumper over , but with the washing , have switched to fleece zip types as easy to get on /off.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dqdr