Clingy dad - experience with respite?

GFoxcroft1

Apr 30, 2024
My dad has vascular dementia, and is as clingy as you can get with mum.
Trouble is this means mum can’t be away from him for longer than a couple of hours, so she gets no break at all.

Does anyone have any hints or tips on how we could get dad (who’s non-verbal now) okay with respite for the odd weekend?

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
Perhaps it’s time for love lies. Doctor thinks you would do well with rehab/ convalescence dad
Might work ?

This is going to sound harsh but dad being ‘ok with it ‘ isn’t the end of the world. What would happen to dad if mums health failed and she wasn’t able to look after him at all ?
Mum has needs too, you know that of course and you also want to make it easier on mum to get that break.

Good luck x

Kristo

Apr 10, 2023
My dad was exactly the same. He went into respite a month ago so that mum could have an operation. We are going to extend for another month as he has settled so well (no-one more shocked than us!). He is surrounded by people all day and is the most relaxed that I have seen him in years. Wish we had done it earlier, the care home staff are all so wonderful. We did try daycare for a couple of months (one day a week) to test the waters and he enjoyed that too but was better when I drove him there and back rather than mum. At least now mum can have a wee in peace! Good luck x

GFoxcroft1

Apr 30, 2024
My dad was exactly the same. He went into respite a month ago so that mum could have an operation. We are going to extend for another month as he has settled so well (no-one more shocked than us!). He is surrounded by people all day and is the most relaxed that I have seen him in years. Wish we had done it earlier, the care home staff are all so wonderful. We did try daycare for a couple of months (one day a week) to test the waters and he enjoyed that too but was better when I drove him there and back rather than mum. At least now mum can have a wee in peace! Good luck x
Thank you! Was your dad aware of what was happening?
I worry, he forgets what we tell him so won’t understand it’s for 2/3 days and that we will come back, and this stress will have such a detrimental impact on him.

It’s a really hard balance

Kristo

Apr 10, 2023
Thank you! Was your dad aware of what was happening?
I worry, he forgets what we tell him so won’t understand it’s for 2/3 days and that we will come back, and this stress will have such a detrimental impact on him.

It’s a really hard balance
The day I dropped him off I hadn’t told him where we were going, we just went in for a cup of tea. I told him him while we there that he was staying for a few days for the nurses to check his meds and he just accepted it (I was flabbergasted!) I said I was going to the loo, left, and went back the next day for a visit and he was fine. I usually visit for about an hour just before lunch, then I slip out while they’re setting the tables. Sometimes I tell him that I’m going and I’ll be back later and he has been fine.