1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Clearing Stuff Out Of The House

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by MaNaAk, Nov 18, 2019.

1. sausagedog

sausagedog Registered User

Aug 22, 2019

Do you have siblings? Assuming you have, Would they be in agreement for the property to have heating on low to prevent further damp/potential burst pipes if we get a bad winter etc. I can’t see an issue removing rubbish from the property & anything valuable kept elsewhere for safekeeping - at the end of the day you’d be preserving an asset & looking after things - In my opinion I can’t see an issue with that.

2. Bod

Bod Registered User

Aug 30, 2013
    As POA it is your duty to do the best for the person.
    It is now clear, they will never return to the house. Their best interests are now for the house and contents to be cleared, and any monies realised to be put towards their care.
    As POA you are entitled to expenses for this work, skip hire, estate agents, etc.
    Anything of family interest, it's best to ask around before disposal.
    Keep all records of spending, etc separate from your personal accounts.
    It's a horrible job.

Bod

3. love.dad.but..

love.dad.but.. Registered User

Jan 16, 2014
    Kent
    If the house is insured many insurers require
    To minimise risk of frozen pipes that may burst in the winter, house insurance often stipulates minimum heating. I found this when dad's house was empty for 2 years but actually felt it sound logical advice. You may not have insurance, there are companies that provide such for unoccupied buildings. As an attorney you should be doing all you can to protect the person's assets if they own the property and at least try to take action to prevent the house deteriorating any further if you can. I had to sell dad's house while he was in a NH, clearing and selling etc is fine so long as you are acting in the person's best interests and proceeds go solely to that person.

4. MaNaAk

MaNaAk Registered User

Jun 19, 2016
    Essex
    Dear Love.dad.but,

The last time I saw dad before he went into hospital I was actually able to say goodbye to him. I said I've just got to go and get the washing in and he said "Okay! Bye!" whereas previously I had to disappear. I am very pleased to have this memory. As carers of dementia sufferers we have some extra special memories.

MaNaAk

PS: I tried to picture your dad in an ambulance with diamante glasses!

5. MaNaAk

MaNaAk Registered User

Jun 19, 2016
    Essex
    Thankyou everyone for your replies.

MaNaAk

6. love.dad.but..

love.dad.but.. Registered User

Jan 16, 2014
    Kent
    Even at the time and dad poorly I could see the funny side and the paramedic trying not to laugh! The only way I could get them off him was by saying 'wow thanks dad you found my glasses' and placing his specs in his hand to distract him while I took the most attractive pink diamonte ones off! I knew which resident they belonged to!